Edge Hill University offers sixty acres of outstanding sport and leisure facilities.
Whether you want to keep fit and healthy, play recreational sport for fun, or compete for university sports clubs, you will have the opportunity to participate in sport and recreation at every level.
Officially opened by Olympic heptathlete Katarina Johnson-Thompson, our state-of-the-art £30 million Sports Centre is fully accessible and features:
- An 80-station fitness suite;
- Aerobics studio;
- 25-metre swimming pool;
- Eight-court sports hall with spectator gallery;
- Health suite with sauna and steam rooms;
- Café and lounge area.
The international competition standard outdoor facilities include:
- Floodlit eight-lane running track and athletics field;
- Three floodlit 3G 6-a-side courts, floodlit AstroTurf hockey pitch, and a full-sized 3G pitch for football and rugby;
- Six grass pitches for football and rugby;
- Four floodlit tennis and netball courts;
- A 2.5 km ‘trim trail’ with exercise stations.
The Sports Centre opening hours are 7am-10pm Monday-Thursday, 7am-9pm Friday, and 9am-5pm at weekends (closed on all Bank Holidays).
A choice of membership options are available, with concessionary prices available to Edge Hill students. Fitness classes cover the full spectrum from yoga and pilates to high impact, intense aerobics sessions.
For further information about the facilities and classes, or how to join, visit www.edgehill.ac.uk/edgehillsport.
Sports Centre Gallery
Take a virtual tour of the impressive sports facilities with our gallery of 40+ images showcasing the Sports Centre.
If you want to represent the University in competitive sport, there are plenty of opportunities to do so as part of Team Edge Hill.
- Taking out Team Edge Hill membership and joining one of the variety of clubs available will enable you to compete against students from other universities as part of the British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) leagues;
- BUCS teams at Edge Hill are currently available in American football, badminton, cheerleading, cricket (indoor and outdoor), football, futsal, handball, hockey, netball, rugby league, rugby union, squash, swimming, table tennis, tennis, trampolining, and volleyball;
- Varsity, an annual sports competition, takes place between Edge Hill University and the University of Central Lancashire in April, providing a great opportunity to get involved in competitive sport, whether you’re playing or supporting your friends.
To find out more about Team Edge Hill, visit the Edge Hill Sport website.
A great range of sport and recreational activities are available for you to get involved with through our Campus Sport programme.
- Get active in weekly sport and activity sessions for all abilities, including badminton, basketball, dodgeball, 5-a-side football, walking football, futsal, handball, Jiu Jitsu, netball, rounders, touch rugby, softball, swimming, table tennis, tennis, trampolining, Ultimate Frisbee, and volleyball;
- Participate in social leagues from five-a-side and 11-a-side football to Battle Badminton and a Futsal League;
- Join beginners fitness, running or sports classes or a weekly running club;
- Enjoy free events throughout the year, such as a Dodgeball Tournament and Old School Sports Day;
- Raise money and take on a Sport Relief Challenge on campus.
The University also provides a range of dedicated women-focused sports initiatives, designed to encourage female participation in regular physical activity, and supports Sport England’s ‘This Girl Can’ campaign.
To find out more about Campus Sport, visit www.edgehill.ac.uk/edgehillsport/campus-sport.