Sport and leisure
Fancy making use of 60 acres of outstanding sport and leisure facilities? Keep fit and healthy, play recreational sport for fun, or compete for university sports clubs. Take the opportunity to participate in sport and recreation at every level.
Edge Hill’s Sporting Campus video showcases the major investment and development of our Sports Centre and outdoor space, we have created a fantastic sports environment which is complemented by high-quality and well-equipped indoor facilities.Watch video on YouTube
Our state-of-the-art Sports Centre is fully accessible and features:
- an 80-station fitness suite
- aerobics studio
- 25-metre swimming pool
- eight-court sports hall with spectator gallery
- health suite with sauna and steam rooms
- Café and lounge area
The international competition standard outdoor facilities include:
- floodlit eight-lane running track and athletics field
- three floodlit 3G 6-a-side courts, floodlit AstroTurf hockey pitch, and a full-sized 3G pitch for football and rugby
- six grass pitches for football and rugby
- four floodlit tennis and netball courts
- a 2.5 km ‘trim trail’ with exercise stations
The Sports Centre opening hours are 7am-10pm Monday-Thursday, 7am-9pm Friday, and 9am-5pm at weekends (closed on all Bank Holidays).
A choice of membership options are available, with concessionary prices available to Edge Hill students. You can also take advantage of a free trial membership at the start of your course (some exclusions may apply). Fitness classes cover the full spectrum from yoga and pilates to high impact, intense aerobics sessions.
For further information about the facilities and classes, or how to join, visit www.edgehill.ac.uk/edgehillsport.
Team Edge Hill
If you want to represent the University in competitive sport, there are plenty of opportunities to do so as part of Team Edge Hill.
- Taking out Team Edge Hill membership and joining one of the variety of clubs available will enable you to compete against students from other universities as part of the British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) leagues.
- BUCS teams at Edge Hill are currently available in athletics, American football, badminton, basketball, cheerleading, cricket, equestrian, football, futsal, handball, hockey, karting, netball, pool and snooker, rugby league, rugby union, swimming, table tennis, tennis, trampolining, and volleyball.
- Varsity, an annual sports competition, takes place between Edge Hill University and the University of Central Lancashire in April, providing a great opportunity to get involved in competitive sport, whether you’re playing or supporting your friends.
A great range of sport and recreational activities are available for you to get involved with through our Campus Sport programme.
- Get active in weekly sport and activity sessions for all abilities, including badminton, basketball, dodgeball, 5-a-side football, walking football, futsal, handball, Jiu Jitsu, netball, rounders, touch rugby, softball, swimming, table tennis, tennis, trampolining, Ultimate Frisbee, and volleyball.
- Participate in social leagues.
- Join beginners fitness, running or sports classes or a weekly running club.
- Enjoy free events throughout the year, such as a Dodgeball Tournament and Old School Sports Day.