At Edge Hill University there are a variety of optional activities available to complement your academic studies and help you stand out in a crowded employment market.
- Global Opportunities enable you to broaden your cultural horizons through spending time studying abroad, either in Europe or further afield, or by learning a language;
- Work Experience Opportunities include the option to undertake a sandwich year on many of our degrees, complete a short-term placement, or enhance your CV through volunteering;
- Financial Opportunities provide a contribution towards the cost of activities which enhance your employability and develop your transferable skills through our Student Opportunity Fund. A range of scholarships are also available.
Enhancing student employability is a key part of the student experience. Our employer links provide excellent networking and career opportunities, partnerships with a variety of organisations create valuable experiences for our students, while our award-winning Careers service will ensure you are planning your career from the moment you start your degree.
The University has been voted the best in the North West and in the top 10 in the UK for job prospects (WhatUni Student Choice Awards 2020), with 95.8% of our students employed or in further study within 15 months of graduating (Graduate Outcomes 2017/18).
Erasmus+ and Study Abroad
Whether you’re looking to spend a year or just a semester abroad as part of your studies, Erasmus+ and Study Abroad opportunities provide a life-changing experience.
Studying overseas during your degree broadens your cultural and social horizons. It enables you to explore a new country and culture, forge new friendships and develop your skills and confidence.
- Erasmus+ is a European Commission programme that allows you to study or work in another European country as part of your degree;
- Study Abroad provides opportunities to study at partner universities in a variety of locations outside Europe, including North America, China, Japan and South Korea.
Erasmus+ and Study Abroad opportunities vary on a course-by-course basis, have a competitive application process and cannot be guaranteed. There are no additional tuition fees to pay if you study abroad for a year.
A variety of other global opportunities are also available which enable you to take part in short trips overseas, some of which may be programme-based while others may be independent of your studies and take place over the summer.
Further information about opportunities to study abroad is available at www.edgehill.ac.uk/abroad.
Learning a Language
Learning a new language or consolidating your existing language skills is a great way to improve your communication skills, gain an insight into other cultures and prepare for time studying, travelling or working overseas.
- Language Modules enable you to study Arabic, French, German, Spanish or Mandarin as an integral part of your degree for which you will gain academic credits. This is an option on selected programmes only;
- Language Steps Classes enable you to study Arabic, French, German, Italian or Spanish in 10-week evening classes of two hours per week. The cost of Language Steps classes for registered Edge Hill students will be met by the University.
We also operate a Conversation Exchange Scheme where you can learn and practice with a designated language partner.
Further information about learning a language is available at www.edgehill.ac.uk/language.
Many of our degrees allow you to undertake an optional sandwich year, subject to finding and successfully applying for a suitable opportunity, usually after the second year of your degree.
Sandwich years typically involve a full-time placement of 9-12 months in industry where you will be assigned a range of duties and responsibilities. You will develop your skillset and gain hands-on practical experience in a real-work environment.
There are no additional tuition fees to pay if you undertake a sandwich year. You will usually become a paid employee of the organisation you are joining, however there may be some circumstances where the position is unpaid.
Further information about sandwich years is available at www.edgehill.ac.uk/sandwichyears.
Many of our courses offer placement opportunities which enable you to gain practical skills and experience for your future career.
Placements can provide a unique insight into a career that interests you. You can expect to take on real responsibility, develop transferable skills and gain valuable contacts.
- Professional Practice Placements are an essential element of a number of our programmes and meet the requirements of professional and statutory bodies. During these placements you will gain practical skills and experience for your future career and can expect to be supported and assessed by a mentor;
- Work Placement Opportunities develop your skills, knowledge and confidence through short-term work experience in a relevant environment. Some programmes have mandatory work placements, which provide essential skills and experience as part of your degree. Other courses may offer work placements as an optional opportunity, subject to availability, to enhance your employability.
Placements vary in length and assessment methods depending upon the course you are studying. You should refer to our course information to verify if there is placement opportunity on your intended programme.
Student Opportunity Fund
If you are an undergraduate or PGCE student at Edge Hill University, you can apply for up to £2,000 to support an idea for a career-enhancing project, initiative or activity that will enrich your student experience through the Student Opportunity Fund.
Students have benefited from financial support for developing software, staging performances in professional venues, showcasing creative work to future employers, presenting at academic and professional conferences, and travel to work-related placements.
If you have an idea for your own activity, you can find out more about the Student Opportunity Fund at edgehill.ac.uk/itstartswithyou.
The University offers a range of scholarships which celebrate determination, commitment and achievement in a variety of areas. These include academic excellence, celebrating success outside your studies, overcoming adversity and helping and inspiring others.
Some scholarships have a competitive application or nomination process while others are awarded automatically.