When you join a programme at Edge Hill University, you will automatically become a member of Edge Hill Students’ Union, voted one of the top dozen students’ unions in the UK in a national survey by StudentCrowd in 2018.
An active students’ union (SU) is at the heart of the campus. It is a student-led organisation, run by students for students, offering a packed line-up of activities and events, vibrant social spaces, and an independent advisory service than can provide representation, support and advice.
- A team of Elected Officers are assigned responsibility for specific areas of work. They operate at the highest possible level within the University to bring about positive change for all students;
- The Elected Officers are supported by a team of full-time and part time staff, as well as part-time officers who are elected to represent LGBTQ+, Black and Minority Ethnic, disabled students, transgender and non-binary students;
- A small team of NUS Delegates are also elected to attend the National Union of Students’ conference, the biggest annual gathering of students’ unions.
Elections and by-elections provide you with the opportunity to vote for the people you want to represent you as your Elected Officers, Part-Time Officers and NUS Delegates, enabling you to have a vital say in determining the direction of your Students’ Union.
A team of Academic Reps also play an integral part in ensuring students’ voices are heard, meeting with senior University staff to provide feedback on the teaching and learning experience.
The Students’ Union coordinates a wide variety of campaigns, events and activities across the campus and beyond.
- Campaigns – a number of campaigns are run throughout the year. Themes include raising mental health awareness, sexual awareness, and empowering children and young people through sport;
- Clubs and Societies – 60+ student-led societies cover everything from astronomy, murder mystery and Disney, to medieval re-enactments, table-top gaming and circus skills. Joining a society is a great way to meet like-minded people and enrich your student life;
- Welcome Week – your first week at University will be packed with fun events to attend. The range of Welcome Week activities in previous years has featured treasure hunts, paint parties, Guitar Hero contests, carnivals and the ever-popular Welcome Fair;
- University Nightlife – from regular themed bar and club nights on campus to weekly pub quizzes and karaoke, the Students’ Union organise a great line-up of regular events as well as the annual Graduation Ball;
- VibeMedia – combining a student-led radio station, TV channel and an online platform, VibeMedia is for anyone interested in participating in television, radio shows or writing. It is open to all students, not just those doing media courses;
- Volunteering – enhance your CV, gain new skills and get involved in the local community through volunteering. From working in local charity shops, helping in schools to assisting at a local animal sanctuary, there are plenty of opportunities to volunteer available through the Students’ Union. You can volunteer for a one-off event or take it up as a regular commitment.
Advice and Representation
The Students’ Union Advice and Representation Centre provides free, confidential and independent advice and guidance to all Edge Hill University students.
The Advice team offer advice, support and representation for:
- academic issues and procedures
- housing queries
- disciplinary issues
- private housing
- student finance (previous study appeals)
SU advisers can also accompany students at Panel hearings and investigation meetings
You can book an appointment to speak to an adviser or you can email the team.Book an appointment
A range of giftware is available too, including jewellery, mugs, soft toys, souvenirs and other accessories.
You can also purchase your TOTUM (formerly NUS Extra) card in person from the shop or online via the TOTUM card website. The card will give you access to hundreds of discounts, from 10% off at ASOS to 25% off student priced tickets at Odeon.