The university experience is like no other. As a parent or supporter you’ll be proud, and you’ll want to support the process.
These pages will help you to navigate the process. We’ll give you the information you need to ensure that your student reaches an informed decision as they choose a course and university. You can also get information on how to help your student to prepare for university with our checklist of the things they need to do after submitting their application.
Why choose us?
There are plenty of reasons for your student to study at Edge Hill University. Most recently we have been crowned Modern University of the Year in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022.
This prestigious award highlights our outstanding facilities, the quality of our teaching and our continuous investment in the student experience.
We also received University of the Year in the Educate North Awards 2020-21 for our exceptional progress made in innovation and dedication to placing students at the heart of everything we do.
Award-winning teaching and facilities
We have an excellent reputation for teaching in the classroom, ranked in the top 15 in the UK for lecturers and teaching quality (Whatuni Student Choice Awards 2022). In 2018 we also received international acclaim winning the Global Teaching Excellence Spotlight Award, recognising our ‘quality of support and engagement infrastructure for students’.
From a TV studio to fully operational theatres, sports therapy and rehab clinics to our clinical skills and simulation centre, we provide our students with the very best realistic working environments. Our outstanding facilities are 2nd in the UK (Whatuni Student Choice Awards 2022).
A truly beautiful campus
Located in the heart of the North West, our stunning campus combines state-of-the-art facilities with beautifully landscaped grounds, historic architecture, two lakes and even a beach. This creates an innovative and inspiring place to learn. It’s no surprise that the campus is recognised as one of the world’s best green spaces (Green Flag Award 2021). See our campus by booking onto an open day or explore from home with our virtual tour.
A focus on creating employable students
Many of our degrees offer accreditation or exemptions towards professional awards. Alongside this, we offer lots of opportunities for students to boost their employability. We are partnered with schools, colleges and businesses to enable students to gain vital experience working on placement in professional environments. This alongside field trips, graduate enterprise, language study, and sandwich year or year abroad options means there are opportunities to suit everyone.
There are extensive opportunities for your student to volunteer, find a part-time job and secure summer work to enhance their CV. Our award-winning careers team can also provide expert assistance and advice in securing graduate employment.
Where every student is supported
Our Student Support ranks in the Top 10 in the UK (Whatuni Student Choice Awards 2022). Whether your student has an accommodation query, needs money advice, wants a confidential one-to-one with a qualified counsellor, or wants to make use of our health and wellbeing service, our comprehensive student support means help and advice will always be available. Dedicated assistance for students with a disability or dyslexia includes support tailored to individual learning requirements and personal needs, as well as the use of assistive technology.
Come and see for yourself
Discover Edge Hill University by attending one of our open days to see what university life will be like for your student.
How to apply
Once your student has decided university is the right path for them, it’s time to make a shortlist and apply. We understand that you will want to support your student throughout the application process as much as possible. So we’ve outlined the key information to be aware of as they take their next step.
- The UCAS deadline is 6pm on Wednesday 25 January 2023 for most undergraduate courses, although schools and colleagues often set their own internal deadlines so it’s worth checking what they are. Early application is encouraged to avoid the stress of rushing a last-minute application.
- Your student will need to register with UCAS and can apply for up to five courses. Make sure they understand the course entry requirements so they can make an informed choice. The institution code for Edge Hill University is E42.
- The part of the application which your student may find the hardest to get right is the personal statement. But they’re not alone. Here they need to explain why they want to study their subject and what will make them a great student. It’s important they spend sufficient time on this. That they really sell themselves and take a positive approach. A well written and structured statement will make their application shine.
- There is an application fee of £22.50 if they apply to just one course, or £27 for multiple courses. Payment can be arranged with their school or college.
- Once they have applied, they can check progress on UCAS Hub. Each course choice will receive an Unconditional, Conditional or Unsuccessful offer. Read our jargon-busting guide that explains what these terms mean.
Supporting your student
How you support your student will differ depending on where they are in their student journey. We have split our advice and guidance into two parts, to try and make it as easy as possible for you to use: