The best ways to get about and travel sustainably. Check out the Edge Link bus timetable or how to sign up to carshare.
It’s not always easy to know what transport options are available for your journey, particularly when making the transition from the car to other modes of transport.
Edge Link bus
The Edge Link bus (EL1) offers a fast and reliable service straight to campus.
Catch the Edge Link bus at Ormskirk bus station for a direct link to Edge Hill, this is great if you live in Ormskirk or arrive at Ormskirk bus or train station.
Edge Link bus timetable and further information
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
|Ormskirk bus station, stand 5||7.25am||7.45am||08:05am||Then at these times each hour||25||45||05||Until||9.25pm||9.45pm||10.05pm|
|*Ormskirk Playing Fields||7.26am||7.46am||08:06am||26||46||06||9.26pm||9.46pm||10.06pm|
|Edge Hill University||7.28am||7.48am||8.08am||28||48||08||9.28pm||9.48pm||10.08pm|
|Edge Hill Creative Edge||7.33am||7.53am||8.13am||33||53||13||9.33pm||9.53pm||10.13pm|
|Ormskirk Bus Station||7.39am||7.59am||8.19am||39||59||19||9.39pm||9.59pm||10.19pm|
|Ormskirk bus station, stand 5||7.25am||7.45am||08:05am||Then at these times each hour||25||45||05||Until||12.25am||12.45am||1.05am|
|*Ormskirk Playing Fields||7.26am||7.46am||08:06am||26||46||06||12.26am||12.46am||1.06am|
|Edge Hill University||7.28am||7.48am||8.08am||28||48||08||12.28am||12.48am||1.08am|
|Edge Hill Creative Edge||7.33am||7.53am||8.13am||33||53||13||12.33am||12.53am||1.13am|
|Ormskirk Bus Station||7.39am||7.59am||8.19am||39||59||19||12.39am||12.59am||1.19am|
|Ormskirk bus station, stand 5||08.05am||8.25am||8.45am||Then at these times each hour||05||25||45||Until||4.05pm||4.25pm||4.45pm||5.05pm||5.25pm|
|*Ormskirk Playing Fields||08.06am||8.26am||8.46am||06||26||46||4.06pm||4.26pm||4.46pm||5.06pm||5.26pm|
|Edge Hill University||8.08am||8.28am||8.48am||08||28||48||4.08pm||4.28pm||4.48pm||5.08pm||5.28pm|
|Edge Hill Creative Edge||8.13am||8.33am||8.53am||13||33||53||4.13pm||4.33pm||4.53pm||5.13pm||5.33pm|
|Ormskirk Bus Station||8.19am||8.39am||8.59am||19||39||59||4.19pm||4.39pm||4.59pm||5.19pm||5.39pm|
Sunday and Bank Holidays – No service
Free with staff or Student ID card or Edge Hill Sport membership card or wristband.
This service is financially supported by Edge Hill University and operated by Stagecoach.
We are pleased to announce that we are now able to welcome paying passengers without a staff/student ID or Sport membership once again.
The service is now run by Stagecoach. You should be able to track the bus using the Stagecoach app, which can be downloaded from the Stagecoach website.
The Edge Link enters campus and stops outside the Security and Customer Information Centre (SCIC). It continues through campus and stops outside Creative Edge. The bus then proceeds through Car Park C and exits via the staff and student entrance. It goes down St Helens Road towards Ormskirk stopping at the St Helens Road / Edge Hill (opp) stop.
We all know how hard it is to fit in exercise into our busy working days but significant health benefits can be obtained by taking the right amount of physical activity. The current adult recommendation is at least 30 minutes of moderate intensity activity on five or more days of the week.
There are some great walks across campus, including the Fitness Trail. There’s something for everyone. Get some steps in on your lunch break. Test your endurance after a lecture.
Key benefits of walking
- Reduces high blood pressure
- Prevention of diabetes
- Helps reduce weight
- Mental health benefits
- Reduces risk of falls
Planning your route
Walking Works – a campaign run by national charity ‘Living Streets’ providing advice and encouragement to people wanting to walk for all or part of their commuting journeys.
NHS Walking for Health – walking is simple, free and one of the easiest ways to get more active, lose weight and become healthier.
Cyclists who work or study at Edge Hill University may join the Bike Locker Users’ Club (BLUC) in order to store their bike in any of the BLUC lockers on campus.
Sheffield stands and wall-mounted racks are all available for use free of charge at our Ormskirk campus.
Showers are available free of charge at the new Edge Hill Sports Centre and the Faculty of Health and Social Care.
Bike locker user group
How do I sign up?
To join the club, visit the store and purchase your £10 deposit.
Collect your BLUC key from the Facility Management (FM) Helpdesk in the Durning Centre, making sure to show the receipt for your deposit.
How do the lockers work?
- Use the BLUC key to open any empty locker and reverse your bike in to the door. Lock using your personal padlock. Keep the BLUC padlock safe until you return. When you collect your bike, you must replace your own padlock with the BLUC padlock to allow other people to use the locker.
- The BLUC works on a shared use system, rather like a car park. The locker will not become your personal bike locker.
- You must always use your own padlock when your bike is inside one of our lockers. This ensures that no one else can gain access to the locker and more importantly to your bicycle
- When you have finished with the locker and you have removed your bike, you must put the Edge Hill University padlock back on the locker so that another BLUC member can use the facility when you are not using it.
I need some more help
- If you lose your BLUC key you will need to purchase a replacement via the online store.
- If you lose the BLUC padlock please report it to FM Helpdesk in person or call 01695 58(4455) so we can organise a replacement.
- If you leave your padlock on an empty locker Edge Hill University reserve the right to remove it. This will result in the withdrawal of your deposit and suspension of your membership.
- If you want to give up your membership you will need to return your BLUC key to the FM Helpdesk, Durning Centre. Once your key has been returned we will authorise the return of your deposit to the card you originally paid with (this can take several days).
- See our terms and conditions for more information about BLUC
A number of buses connect Ormskirk to the surrounding area.A-Z destination finder
Arriva North West Student Saver – save more than 30% on fares and benefit from unlimited travel on Arriva buses, including evening and weekends.
Arriva North West Saver – choose from a variety of tickets including a Day Saver, Weekly Saver, 4-Weekly Saver and Annual Saver to take advantage of discounted travel.
Stagecoach Megarider – 4, 13 and 52 week saver tickets are available to purchase. The Preston Megarider and North West Megarider Gold include travel to Ormskirk within their zones.
Staff can apply for an interest free loan from the University to help with the purchase of an annual Season Ticket.
Planning your route
Use journey planning websites for help devising your route.
From Ormskirk bus station you can get to the Campus in a variety of ways:
Bus: Catch the Edge Link bus from stand 5 for a direct route to Campus.
Walk: Turn left from the station and take the first right along Knowsley Road. Walk along Knowsley Road, across one junction, turning left slightly onto St Helens Road until you reach the Campus.
From Ormskirk train station there is a regular service running to and from Preston and all stations to Liverpool.Liverpool to Ormskirk Preston to Ormskirk
- Season tickets like Railpass and the student GEMPass are some of the cheapest ways to travel on the Merseyrail network.
- Season tickets outside the Merseyrail network are also available for seven days or any period between one month and a year. Annual Season Tickets save you the most money with 12 weeks free travel each year. Use the National Rail Season Ticket Calculator to compare prices.
- Use your season ticket for leisure, as well as commuting, within valid purchased area.
- Staff can apply for an interest free loan from the University to help with the purchase of an annual Season Ticket.
- Save up to 1/3 off most rail fares with 16-25, Family & Friends and Disabled Persons Railcards.
Use Northern Rail’s Season Ticket Calculator to compare prices.
Park and ride
All Merseyrail and some Northern Line car parks are free to rail passengers.
Merseyrail have just opened 2 brand new free passenger car parks on the Wirral. Both lines go directly to Liverpool Central & Moorfields where you can catch regular connecting trains for Ormskirk. Save on tunnel and petrol fees, or shorten your journey time by avoiding the traffic.
- Bidston expanded to 197 spaces
- Birkenhead North with 256 spaces
Bike and ride
Free, secure cycle storage at many Merseyrail and Northern line stations.
Merseyrail trains have designated areas for cyclists situated at both ends of the train. They advise against travelling with a bicycle during peak times due to congestion issues on board the train.
Northern Rail trains can carry a maximum of two bikes per train, allocated on a first come, first served basis. Conductors maintain the right to refuse entry if the train is busy.
Planning your route
Use the journey planning websites for help devising your route.
From Ormskirk train station you can get to the Ormskirk campus in a variety of ways:
Bus: From Ormskirk train station take the pedestrian walkway to Ormskirk bus station and connect with the Edge Link bus, from stand 5, for a direct route to Campus.
Walk: Turn right from the station and walk up the road you are on, Station Approach. At the top turn left, then first right. Walk along Stanley Street and Knowsley Road, across two junctions and turning left onto St Helens Road, until you reach the Campus.
Our travel plan encourages staff, students and visitors to travel to the University by sustainable means wherever possible.
Parking on campus is limited and reserved for permit holders.
We try to manage our parking spaces fairly. Only members of staff and registered students may apply for a parking permit and eligibility criteria applies based on the distance travelled and the availability of public transport.
If you are a student coming to study at Edge Hill for the first time you will need to formally enrol on your course and receive your student number before you can apply.
Registered staff and students may check their eligibility and apply for a parking permit via the MyFM portal.
Car sharing is when two or more people share their journey and travel together.
It allows people to benefit from the convenience of the car whilst saving money by reducing mileage and petrol costs, alleviating parking problems, congestion and pollution.
Staff and student car share groups
The University has created two private groups within liftshare.com (the UK’s largest car sharing website) specifically for members of staff and students. It enables staff and students to search for potential matches and car share more easily.
The liftshare.com groups are completely FREE to join and use and you don’t even need your own car. Many drivers are happy to offer a lift in exchange for a contribution to petrol costsStaff sign up Student sign up
- Sign up online for the staff or student scheme
- Activate your account
- Search for a potential car share match. If your journey is not matched, it will be logged and you will be notified once a potential match is found. Alternatively you can opt to search for a match from the national database.
- Reserve a parking space. If at least 2 people arriving in a car together both hold valid Car Parking Permits you can reserve a parking space.
If you are not eligible to use the reserved parking facility for car sharers you can still join the private groups within liftshare.com and car share, but you must park elsewhere on campus in accordance with your parking permit.
Reserved parking for car sharers
How do I qualify for a reserved parking space?
- At least two people arriving in a car together must both hold valid car parking permits to reserve a parking space.
- You must reserve your space in advance using the online booking system.
- You must display the two valid car parking permits in the windscreen on arrival (double permit holders available free of charge from FM helpdesk.
- There must be at least two people in the vehicle on arrival.
How do I reserve a parking space?
- Reserve your space on MyFM (you will need to have two car parking permit numbers or usernames to book).
- Arrive on campus before 10am (students via main entrance / staff via visitors entrance).
- Provide the car parking attendant with your booking confirmation number and they will direct you to your reserved space.
What else do I need to know?
- The space will be held for you until 10am after which time it will be released for general use.
- You must have the same two car parking permits on display that you used to reserve the space.
- Spaces can be reserved up to 4pm for parking the following day and up to two weeks in advance.
- Abuse or misuse of this facility may result in individual permit holders being excluded from using it.
Guaranteed Ride Home scheme (staff only)
Members of the Edge Hill staff car share group may make use of the Guaranteed Ride Home scheme. The scheme ensures that registered staff members are able to get home in the event of an emergency or unforeseen circumstances.
Car sharing Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do I need a car to car share?
No, many people are happy to offer lifts in exchange for sharing the fuel costs. You can register your journey as ‘seeking a lift’ if you do not have a car or if you are ineligible for a parking permit.
Do I have to car share everyday?
No, choose to share as many days a week as you like. We recommend that you come to an agreement that works for everyone, which can change on a weekly basis.
How safe is car sharing?
All members’ details are stored securely in the database and only the members intended travel information can be accessed by other members.
We would always advise you to::
- Avoid exchanging home addresses with you travelling companion before you meet them
- Arrange to meet in a public place
- Inform a friend or family member of who you will be travelling with, when and to where
- Make sure you show each other a form of ID such as a driving license, so you know you’re travelling with the right person
Remember you are under no obligation to go ahead with sharing a journey. If you have any doubts about your travelling companion, for any reason, you should avoid travelling with them.
What if I car share and have to leave campus suddenly?
You need to advise your car share partner as soon as possible so they can make alternative arrangements.
What about sharing costs?
There are various ways in which this can be done:
- On a reciprocal basis, where you drive one week and the next week your car share partner drives, or
- Drivers and passengers split the cost of petrol. Passenger contributions should be arranged before travel and should not exceed the running costs (including wear and depreciation) of the vehicle for the trip. Liftshare’s savings calculator can assist in working out an appropriate sum of money to compensate your fellow sharer(s). Please note that drivers should not make a profit from car sharing as this can invalidate their insurance and tax. If you have any concerns please contact your insurance company direct.
What are the insurance implications of car sharing?
The Association of British Insurers (ABI) clearly states that car sharing won’t affect the insurance of their members so long as a profit isn’t made:
“Giving Lifts – All ABI motor insurers have agreed that if your passengers contribute towards your running costs your insurance will not be affected, as long as lifts are given in a vehicle seating eight passengers or less. This agreement does not apply if you make a profit from payments received or if carrying passengers is your business“The Association of British Insurers (ABI)
Drivers with any concerns should check with their insurance company as terms and conditions may vary between insurance providers over time.
Is it possible to find a travelling companion of the same sex?
Yes, through the advanced search you can select ‘only male’ or ‘only female’ matches.
I already know someone who I can carshare with, do I have to join a Liftshare group?
Liftshare is designed to help you find someone to share with. However, it is not a requirement of car sharing and it is not a requirement to reserve priority parking.
I am not eligible for a car parking permit can I still car share?
If you are not eligible for a Car Parking Permit you can still join the Edge Hill staff or student car share groups but you will not be allowed to reserve a parking space. If your partner has a valid Car Parking Permit then you are free to park elsewhere on campus in accordance with the car park policy.
If neither of you are eligible for a Car Parking Permit you may not park on campus but may choose to park in the surrounding area. Please see parking in Ormskirk for further information.