This information is for you if a recent assessment board has confirmed that you must complete outstanding assessment as an external candidate for the upcoming academic year.
Due to the amount of assessment you have outstanding, unfortunately you cannot enrol onto the next level of study as scheduled. The board has agreed that you should be registered as an external candidate to complete the outstanding assessment that you have not yet passed. Your online academic transcript provides full details of those assessments and can be viewed via the results page.
If you successfully complete your outstanding modules during the next academic session, you will be able to enrol onto the next level of study as a full-time student for the following academic session.
Your external candidate status keeps you connected to Edge Hill while you complete your outstanding assessment. You are still registered with the University and continue to have access to our facilities such as email, Blackboard and assessment support.
You must arrange to speak with your programme leader and/or assessment tutors to identify any support you may need to help you complete your outstanding assessment.
You must complete each outstanding assessment as detailed on your online results transcript. Your programme leader will confirm your assessment obligations for the year.
• If your module level code is ‘Referred’, and you successfully complete your outstanding assessment, the result for each reassessed element of assessment will be capped at 40%.
• If your module level code is ‘Referred: Final Attempt’, this means that this is your final attempt at the assessment. The result for each reassessed element of assessment will be capped at 40%. If you fail to complete this may result in you being unable to complete your original target award and you may be failed from the programme.
Guidance on your tuition fee liability and funding entitlement as an external candidate is made available in the Fees and Bursaries FAQs. Simply click on the ‘Assessment/Re-assessment drop down box.
You do not need to re-enrol for your external candidate year, your registration will be updated automatically for the coming academic year.
As an external candidate, you will not normally be eligible for a council tax exemption certificate. However, if you are successful with your outstanding assessment, and can then re-enrol as a full-time student in the following academic session, you would be eligible for future years.
If you are an overseas student, you must contact the International Office immediately to discuss what this recommendation means for you.
Your end of year results will be considered by a progression board at the end of the upcoming academic year. The board will consider your profile and make one of the following recommendations:
• If you have successfully undertaken all your outstanding assessment, the board will recommend that you enrol onto the next level of study as a full-time student.
• If your outstanding modules are coded ‘referred: final attempt’ and you are not successful in repeating these during your external candidate year, there will be no further right of reassessment and you may not be able to continue for your original target award
• If your outstanding modules are coded ‘deferred’ or ‘referred’ and you are not successful in repeating these, the board may give you a further opportunity to complete your outstanding assessment
Information on the exact publication date is emailed to your university account in December each year and will be made available on the results and publishing dates webpage.