Whether you’re looking to train to teach or already working in the children’s workforce, we offer a range of PGCEs in early years, primary and secondary education, as well as a PGDE in further education. Our PGCEs and PGDE are complemented by a comprehensive professional development portfolio for teachers, those supporting teaching and learning, and others working in schools and educational settings.
If you’re a graduate seeking a career in teaching, you can study a broad-based early years or primary initial teacher training programme, specialise in primary mathematics or primary physical education, choose from a variety of secondary subject areas, or prepare for a role in further education or the lifelong learning sector. If you want to join a PGCE in secondary education but lack the required subject knowledge, we may have a suitable subject knowledge enhancement course for you.
Whichever age range or specialism you choose, your programme will combine expert tuition with significant time spent in schools and other settings, enabling you to gain extensive practical experience and become increasingly confident in the classroom.
Additional professional development opportunities include specialist programmes in dyscalculia and dyslexia, accredited by the British Dyslexia Association, as well as courses exploring learning difficulties, educational enquiry, primary mathematics, mentoring and coaching and teaching English as a second or foreign language. A dedicated programme for newly appointed Special Educational Needs Coordinators (SENCos) is also available, as well as the opportunity to train in the innovative role of an education mental health practitioner.
Chat Online with our Postgraduate Recruitment Manager
If you’re interested in postgraduate study at Edge Hill University, you can chat online with Rachael Buckley, our Postgraduate Recruitment Manager.
Rachael will be online every Wednesday between 10am and 2pm to answer any questions you might have about our postgraduate courses, including PGCEs, as well as entry criteria or how to apply.
You are also welcome to get in touch with us via live chat at any other time, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm, when our Course Enquiries team will be happy to assist you.
- PGCert Education (Dyscalculia)
- PGDip Education (Dyscalculia)
- PGCert Education (Inclusion & SEN)
- PGDip Education Mental Health Practitioner for Children and Young People
- MA Educational Enquiry and Professional Learning
- PGCert Mentoring and Coaching
- National Award Special Educational Needs Coordination
- MA Specialist Primary Mathematics Practice
- PGCert Specialist Primary Mathematics Practice
- PGCert SpLD (Dyslexia) with AMBDA/ATS
- MA TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
- PGCE Early Years Education with QTS
- PGDE Post-14 Education
- PGCE Primary Education with QTS
- PGCE Primary Mathematics Specialist with QTS
- PGCE Primary Physical Education (PE) Specialist with QTS
- PGCE Secondary Computer Science and Information Technology Education (Age Phase 11-16) with QTS
- PGCE Secondary English (Age Phase 11-16) with QTS
- PGCE Secondary Geography (Age Phase 11-16) with QTS
- PGCE Secondary History (Age Phase 11-16) with QTS
- PGCE Secondary Mathematics (Age Phase 11-16) with QTS
- PGCE Secondary Physical Education (Age Phase 11-16) with QTS
- PGCE Secondary Religious Education (Age Phase 11-16) with QTS
- PGCE Secondary Science (Biology) (Age Phase 11-16) with QTS
Subject Knowledge Enhancement for Secondary PGCE Applicants
The Faculty of Education enjoys the enviable position of being one of the country’s leading providers of teacher training.
Housed in a state-of-the-art £9m building, the Faculty of Education’s facilities include a 300-seat lecture theatre, five well-equipped ICT suites, and 18 teaching rooms equipped with the latest technology.
The faculty has a strong commitment to practice-based learning and has developed partnerships with over 2,000 schools and colleges, local authorities and professional associations.
Faculty of Education 360 Virtual Tour
Open Days and Virtual Events
Our November 2020 open day is going virtual. We will ensure that you can still discover everything that Edge Hill University has to offer and get answers to all of your questions. You will be able to find out more about education and teaching and the University through a series of online activities.
If you would like to see our stunning campus for yourself, private campus tours, led by a student guide, are also available on a variety of dates. Pre-booking is essential.Book your place at our virtual open day