Skip Navigation

Hall fees

The Hall Fees Team offer advice and guidance in relation to the payment of accommodation fees. They also manage your accommodation payments and instalment dates. Students often come to see us about concerns they may have, for example:

  • Student finance delays
  • Lack of funds
  • New bank card
  • Changes to payment plans

If you are worried or stressed about your hall fees account in any way, please contact us as soon as possible so we can help to keep you on track. We are able to provide you with support and guidance in relation to your hall fees payment plan.

How to make payments

If you are moving into halls, you will have three steps to complete:

  • Sign your e-licence agreement within five days of receiving your room offer.
  • Pay £150 advanced residence fee with five working days of signing your e-licence agreement.
  • Arrange payment of your halls fees within five working days of signing your e-licence agreement.

You can pay your hall fees online with a debit or credit card in one of two ways:

Pay in full. Pay the total upfront in one instalment.*

Pay in three instalments. You can set up a Recurring Card Payment (RCP) so that your halls fees will be taken in three equal instalments.

*Please note: Hall fees discount previously offered to those who pay in full is no longer available.

Most students choose to pay their fees in three instalments as this coincides with student funding payments.

The three main instalment dates for the academic year are:

  • 11 October 2023
  • 10 January 2024
  • 17 April 2024

If you intend to pay your accommodation fees with your student funding, please note that once you are registered onto your course, your first instalment will be received in three to five working days.

In the event that you need to make an additional payment outside of your payment plan, it can be made online.

Student loans are paid in three instalments at the start of each term. If you are not on the standard 40 week contract or started your contract in the middle of the academic year, please contact the Halls Fees team, for information regarding payment arrangements. The total balance due for the duration of your licence agreement (40 weeks or agreed fixed term) is divided into three equal instalments, unless you pay in full.

Third party disclosure

Due to Data Protection Legislation and the University Data Protection Policy we are unable to discuss or disclose any information without your prior written consent.

It is important to remember that even if it is not your card we hold on the payment system, it is your account.

If you want someone to make payments on your behalf, or to discuss your hall fees account with us, you will need to provide the name and contact details of the person you want us to speak to. You can do this by following this online by logging on with your student number and password then selecting requests and Third Party Disclosure.

Damage deposits

Please note: damage deposits are only applicable to Senior students

A £150 refundable damage deposit is required to secure a place in halls. This is refundable in full on condition that there are no damage charges to be deducted. The damage deposit can only be refunded to the original payer and will be refunded in full 28 days after your contract end date, which is not necessarily the same date that room keys are returned.

If there is an outstanding balance on your accommodation account, the deposit will be withheld until the balance is cleared.

Advanced residence fee

The Advance Residence Fee of £150 is required to secure a place in halls. This amount will be deducted from your recurring card payment, or when you pay your total hall fees for the whole of your accommodation contract.

Frequently asked questions

I have a delay with my Student Finance and don’t know what to do?
I haven’t got the full amount to pay my hall fees and don’t know what to do?
My money is in a different account. What should I do?
I’ve opened a student bank account and have a new bank card, what do I need to do?
What happens if I am struggling to pay?

Hall fees for international students

If you are an international student you will receive further information with your offer letter regarding payment arrangements for your damage deposit and hall fees.

Please note that these payment arrangements will not apply to students enrolled on the following courses:

  • US study abroad
  • English language courses
  • residential summer schools

Other sources of support and guidance

Money Advice team at Edge Hill
Mental Health & Wellbeing Team at Edge Hill
Careers team at Edge Hill 
Accommodation team at Edge Hill
Edge Hill Students’ Union 

Citizens Advice Bureau 
Student Finance information

Debt charities