Skip Navigation

St James accommodation guide

Our Accommodation Team is based at the Ormskirk campus in Catalyst. Although you are away from the main campus you can still access our services either online, on the phone or over email.

If you are ever at the Ormskirk campus you can speak to a member of staff via the Catalyst Helpdesk. You can get in touch via the contact details below, or stay connected with us on social media.

Edge Hill Students’ Union can also provide advice and guidance on house hunting.

What accommodation is available?

Edge Hill University does not operate any accommodation in Manchester however we can offer you our advice and guidance to help you find the right
place to live. Manchester offers a huge range of student accommodation options to choose from.

Halls of residence

There are many halls of residence available in the city that are open to students from any institution. They will typically have on-site security, student support (such as Resident Advisors or Student Guides), reception services and property management services. Rates will usually include all bills and maintenance.

Shared house

Shared properties range in size from one bedroom to ten bedrooms although some can be larger than this. You can find shared houses through letting agents, student housing agents or direct via landlord advertisements. Rates can be either inclusive or exclusive of bills and maintenance, always ensure this is clearly detailed in your tenancy agreement.

Where to start?

Check your budget

You need to decide what you can afford to pay in rent before you start looking for properties. There is plenty of accommodation available so there is no need to take the first room you look at. The Money Advice team can help you to understand your budget.

Money advice

Decide where to live

Manchester is a large city with a great public transport network to get you to campus. Before signing a tenancy agreement for a property always check the transport costs and duration to get to campus, and placements if applicable.

Check the reputation of the provider

Make sure that you check your accommodation is reputable. Are there adequate contact details available including phone and email? Is the property covered by an accreditation scheme Manchester Student Homes is an independent organisation that operates an accreditation scheme covering student properties in Manchester.

Manchester student homes

If in doubt please seek advice from the Accommodation Team or Students’ Union.

Thoroughly read your tenancy agreement before signing

Any contract you sign with a private accommodation provider is a legally binding document for a fixed term and you are financially liable for the rent for the whole term of the contract. Before you sign anything, it is best to seek advice from the Accommodation team or Students’ Union. We recommend that you never sign a joint tenancy agreement and always ask for a single tenancy agreement.

Frequently asked questions

What accommodation do we offer?

We offer a range of university accommodation options, including:

Compare our halls of residence to find one that’s right for you and apply for your spot today.