Skip Navigation

Enrolment identification

The University is legally obliged to check, verify and retain copies of identification documentation (ID) to fulfil our immigration sponsorship duties and prevent fraud.

This is to verify your identity and ensure that non-UK students have the right to study in the UK and, specifically, with Edge Hill University.

As well as providing valid ID during the enrolment process, you must enrol in your full legal Name (including any middle name(s) as shown on your identification). Accepted forms of ID (dependent on nationality and study location) are set out in the Student Identification Procedure.

A close up of a UK passport cover

Although some students will have their ID verified during the application process, all students will need to submit suitable identification during the enrolment process to complete their registration.

Identification requirements are mandatory. If an accepted form of identification is not provided, you will not be able to enrol – this may delay you getting any student finance monies.

Make sure that you have a valid form of ID to avoid any hold-ups with your enrolment. Check the information below to see what types of ID we will accept.

Preferred forms of ID

UK & IrelandOne of the following:

UK or Irish passport (preferred)
UK Photo Driving Licence (place of birth must be UK)

*if you do not have any photo ID, you must provide us with two forms of non-photographic identification – one from section A and one from section B below:

Section A – Proof of legal Name and Date of Birth

Full Birth or Adoption certificate issued in the UK, Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or Ireland
Certificate of Naturalisation as a British Citizen
Marriage or Civil Partnership certificate

Section B – Proof of legal Name and Address

Bank or building society statement dated within the last 3 months
Utility bill dated within the last 3 months
Student Finance letter
Non-UKValid current passport and a valid visa, e-visa, or Biometric Resident Permit (BRP card)

You must enrol in your legal Name exactly as it appears on your ID. Identification requirements are mandatory, if you do not provide the required documents this will delay your enrolment and, if applicable, any student finance.

Uploading your identification

You must ensure that:

  • you submit the correct form of identification according to your nationality, as set out above
  • you upload a digital copy (either a high-quality scanned image or a photograph) of the original document in colour in JPEG, JPG, PDF or word document format (if providing a bank statement or utility bill transactions/balances should be redacted to show only your name and address)
  • all documents are clear and legible – blurry images will not be accepted
  • the whole document is visible and that all four edges of the document are evident in the image
  • the file size is no bigger than 2MB – the system will not accept larger files.

During the enrolment process, you will be prompted to upload the above documents. Please make sure they are no larger than 2MB, as the system will not accept them otherwise. If you need help resizing your images, please email

Students with visas

The University monitors students with a time limit on their visa. You must provide evidence of your current visa status as part of the application process. The University is required by law to check, verify and retain copies of your documentation as part of our immigration sponsorship duties. We regularly check this documentation to ensure our students have the right to study in the UK and, specifically, at Edge Hill University. For example, you will be required to provide proof of your arrival in the UK with the immigration entry stamp in your passport.

Arriving via E-gates

If you are a student from the European Economic Area, Switzerland, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and the United States, you can now use E-gates at UK airports. If you are a national of one of the listed countries, you can use E-gates but we recommend that you keep your boarding passes or travel itinerary in a safe place as you will need to provide evidence of the day you arrived in the UK.

Non-UK students should contact the International team at with any questions or where the required photographic identification is unavailable.

Non-UK students studying outside of the UK

Students studying on an Edge Hill programme of study outside of the UK are subject to the identification requirements of the partner institution. 

If a programme of study at a partner institution permits articulation or transfer to an Edge Hill programme to be studied in the UK, students become subject to the requirements in section 2 of the Student Identification Procedure.

Non-UK students should contact the partner institution with any questions in the first instance.