Skip Navigation

From funding and accommodation to bank accounts and budgeting, there are a few things your student may need to organise before arriving at university. We are here to support you in helping them as they adjust to university life.

Your funding options

Maintenance loans

A maintenance loan covers basic living costs, such as accommodation, food, travel, and social activities. This is different to a tuition fee loan, which covers the cost of your student’s annual course fees.

If your student is eligible for a Maintenance Loan, the amount they will receive is calculated by their household income. The loan will be paid in three instalments into your student’s bank account throughout the academic year.

It often takes 5-10 working days following enrolment for Student Finance England (or the equivalent funding body) to process your student’s payment of funding. As such, it is best to make sure that your student has some money available for the first few weeks on campus to cover basic expenses and social activities.

When it comes to student finance, we recommend applying as early as possible as it can be a lengthy process. Applications usually open in March and close at the end of May.

Fees and funding support

Funding support

Students seeking money advice at a fair on campus.

There are a number of funding options available at Edge Hill.

We offer various scholarships awards to support students applying here or studying with us. These awards aim to recognise determination, commitment, and achievement of our students, celebrating their success outside of their studies, in overcoming adversity and in inspiring others.

Your student may by eligible for a bursary if they are studying on a health or social work course, of if they identify within one of our Widening Access and Participation support groups. We also have teaching bursaries available.

Scholarships at Edge Hill Bursaries

If you have any further questions regarding your students’ eligibility or support that is available, please get in touch with our Money Advice Team, who will be happy to assist you and your student.

Helping your student prepare for university

Before coming to university, your student will need to open a student bank account in order to pay and receive their Student Finance. It is also a good idea to explain the importance of budgeting to your student and encourage them to practice using our spending guide.

Student bank accounts

Packing and arriving on campus

This may be the first time that your student will be living away from home. There are a few things you can help them with to make the transition as smooth as possible, including researching contents insurance and creating a moving-in plan together.

All our halls of residence, besides Forest Court, come equipped with a flat screen television that receives Freeview TV. Your student may wish to bring their own television if they will be living in Forest Court. In all cases, a TV licence is required, regardless of whether you are watching live TV (on any device) or viewing/downloading programmes on BBC iPlayer.

Wifi services are available, free of charge, across all University residential accommodation.

A member of Edge Hill staff drives a golf buggy with three visitors and their luggage on board.
Other essential items to bring
Contents insurance

Further information