Journals & Databases
These collections provide instant access to scholarly research, journal articles and book reviews. They may be accessed 24/7 and each collection has its own help and guidance on the home page.
- Digimap provides Ordnance Survey digital map data and high quality cartographic products direct to the desktop. In addition to the Ordnance Survey data, you can also access:
- Aerial Digimap which offers detailed aerial imagery from Getmapping.
- Digimap Environment contains land cover data from the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology.
- Digimap Historic which allows historic maps to be viewed and printed.
- Geology Digimap which contains geological maps.
- Lidar Digimap which offers Lidar data from UK government agencies.
Key Journal Collections
- Science Direct is a collection covering life, physical, medical, technical and social sciences.
- Web of Science A database of scholarly literature relating to science, social sciences, arts and humanities.
Additional Journal Collections
- Academic Search Premier is a multi-disciplinary database which offers full text access to a vast range of scholarly journals.
- Box of Broadcasts is an on demand TV and radio service for education. The academically-focused system enables you to record programmes from over 65 free-to-air channels, and search an extensive archive. Box of Broadcasts is intuitive and easy to use, so you may find you can start straight away. However, if you need a bit of help, take a look at the video tutorials.
- GreenFILE has information covering all aspects of the human impact on the environment. It includes content on global warming, green building, pollution, sustainable agriculture, renewable energy, recycling, and more.
- Wiley Online Library is a multidisciplinary collection of 1500 journals, covering the life, health and physical sciences.
Newspapers can be a useful way of keeping up to date with current affairs or recent events. Daily newspapers can be found in Catalyst, in the area underneath the main staircase. The last 30 days’ worth are kept on the second floor in the Journals collection. Newspaper archives usually contain issues which are less recent and which are useful for finding articles of a more historical interest.
- Daily Mail Historical Archive Full text of the Daily Mail from 1896-2004. It contains news stories and images that capture 20th century culture and society. Offers full page and article images with searchable full text back to the first issue.
- Guardian and Observer Digital Archive contains every issue of The Guardian from 1821 to 2003 and of The Observer between 1791 and 2003. You can search by keyword or by keyword and date; each story is an exact reproduction of the original.
- Infotrac Newsstand contains articles from over 2300 newspapers from around the world. These include major British newspapers, as well as US and Australian titles. It also has thousands of images, radio and TV broadcasts and transcripts.
- LexisNexis contains over 650 regional and national UK newspapers from 1982 to the present. It is possible to limit your search to either national or regional titles, or you can search the whole of the newspaper database.
- Times Digital Archive contains every issue of The Times from 1785 to 1985. You can search by keyword or for a particular issue and each story appears as it looks in the original copy of the newspaper.
Societies and associations that promote a profession and the people working within them. Many provide useful information on their website along with regular news updates. Many professional bodies offer individual student membership at a low annual membership.
- The Geological Society Website of the oldest geological society in the world.
- The Institution of Environmental Sciences promotes environmental science by supporting scientists and academics working in this field.
- The Royal Geographical Society is the UK’s learned society and professional body for geography.
- British Geological Survey is a public sector body which provides geological advice to Government, industry, academia and the public.
- Environment Agency is an executive non-departmental public body with responsibility for environmental protection in England.
- Fogarty International Center US organisation supporting global health research. Includes information on a range of global health topics.
- Geography Directions Blog relating current news stories to the academic literature.
- International Biogeography Society Promote the study of patterns and processes in the geography of nature, including evolution, ecology, and conservation of biodiversity.
- National Geographic Website of the National Geographic Society, a non-profit organisation dedicated to the exploration and protection of the Earth.
- Natural England is an executive non-departmental public body that advises the government of protecting the natural environment in England.
- World Health Organisation Provides leadership on global health matters. The site includes a lot of free data and publications.
Catalyst has several workstations that contain specialist software for Geography students and that can be booked for between 1 and 3 hours. The available software includes:
- ArcGIS Pro This is also available on all PCs on the 2nd floor of Catalyst and in the Geosciences building. You can get further information by contacting Sue Jones in the Geography department.
Other software is also available:
- ArcMap is a modelling, analysis and mapping tool and is available on all PCs on the 2nd floor of Catalyst. It is also available in the Geosciences building. You can get further information by contacting Sue Jones in the Geography department.
- R is a programming language and free software environment that can be used for statistical computation and graphics. It can be downloaded on to any University computer by clicking on the start menu and selecting Application Catalogue. You can download R from the page that then appears. More information is available from r-project.org/.
There are a number of books on R available in Catalyst, as well as several eBooks that can be accessed via the library catalogue.