Students with children
Supplementary Student Finance grants for parents
You may be eligible for extra grants from Student Finance through the following supplementary allowances:
- Parents’ Learning Allowance (full time undergraduate funded students only)
- Childcare Grant (full time undergraduate funded students only)
These extra parental grants are not available for courses that are funded with the Postgraduate Masters Loan.More information about tuition fees and financial support for postgraduate students
How to claim the student finance childcare grant
To apply for a Childcare Grant, please follow these steps:
Apply online as part of your main Student Finance application.
- Send in evidence to Student Finance. You’ll be told what evidence you need to provide when you apply. Normally this is evidence of having a child such as a birth certificate.
- Student Finance will then update your account and state the amount of the Childcare Grant awarded for the year.
- You can then create an online account with the Childcare Grant Payment Service (CCGPS). You’ll will receive an email with instructions on how to create an account. The grant will be paid into this account.
Applicants may use the paper form instead if they:
- have already applied for student finance but didn’t apply for a childcare grant at the same time
- wish to apply for another child
You can download the form from the Student Finance form finder.
Studying and having a child
If you are considering taking some time out to have a child, you can find out more about the options available to you online or by visiting the UCAS website, where they have put together a range of information for students with parenting responsibilities.
In some situations, parents that are studying maybe able to apply for Universal Credit. This benefit is income tested against the Maintenance Loan and if eligible the Adults Dependants’ Grant. For courses with a postgraduate loan, a certain amount of the loan is considered as income.
The NHS Training Grant
NHS pre-registration healthcare courses that are eligible for the Training Grant also have the option of a non-income tested Parental Support Grant.Find out more about the options available to you
The Wellbeing team can support you with a variety of issues that may be impacting on your wellbeing.Visit the Wellbeing team
The Money Advice team offer virtual and telephone appointments, which can be booked 72 hours in advance. Appointments are for 30 minutes. If needed, a follow-up appointment will be arranged. The team can offer guidance on all money-related matters including student funding, they can help with personal finances and provide advice on the Student Support Fund.
|10am – 4pm||10am – 3pm||10am – 3pm||12 – 6pm||10am – 3pm|