Skip Navigation

Student finance

The Money Advice team offer virtual and telephone appointments bookable 72 hours in advance. Appointments are for 30 minutes. If needed, a follow up appointment will be arranged.

Face-to-face appointments are available, please email [email protected] to request that a member of the Money Advice team contact you to arrange a suitable date and time.

Book an appointment
online today

Course fees and funding

The fees and funding information online for UK and EU students covers everything about tuition fees, financial support, and scholarships for Edge Hill University’s programmes. We will tell you how much your course will cost, outline the financial support which may be available, and explain how to apply for student funding.

Student finance

There are differences in the funding you can apply for if you’re from England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey, The Isle of Man or the EU.

There are also differences in funding depending on whether you study full time or part time  and you will need to meet certain eligibility criteria based around nationality and residency requirements.

Any previous higher education study could impact on your entitlement to student finance.

Normally student finance will not request any additional documents to support an application. Although when completing the online form passport, national insurance numbers and bank account details will be required.

On some occasions Student Finance will request further evidence to be uploaded digitally to the online application or via recorded postal delivery. Digital uploads, for certain evidence, is now available for full-time and part-time undergraduate students with Student Finance England and Wales.

Do upload: marital status evidence; child’s birth certificate; name change evidence.

Do not upload: passport, birth certificate, national identity card. These must all be sent by post only.

If Student Finance request a passport or birth certificate to prove identity, you must send this by registered post.

Student Finance England have a range of videos and other information offering advice for students, parents, and partners/sponsors as well as information explaining how to apply.

UCAS have also produced a helpful guide for parents and sponsors.

For applicants to Student Finance Wales, their YouTube channel has a range of useful videos.

The Student Loans Company has produced the video below on ‘phishing’ and financial security which is worth watching.

You may be eligible for extra help through the following supplementary allowances:

If your finance is delayed it could be because an income check is awaiting a parent’s or partner’s income details. The delay could also be due to a specific course entry requirement such as a DBS check or Occupational Health Report.

If you require further help due to a delay, please see the information from the Money Advice team.

If your check your student account and the status is showing as ‘payment in progress’ or ‘scheduled’, this means the finance is ready to go and will arrive on the date shown on your account. It usually takes around 3 working days depending on the bank’s payment process to arrive into your bank account.

The University will automatically notify Student Finance of your enrolment and attendance on the course.

Blocked accounts

If your student account status is ‘blocked’ this means that the National Insurance number or bank account number cannot be verified. In this case, you should check your number and if the numbers need changing, you will need to get in touch with Student Finance to discuss this.

To apply for a Childcare Grant, please follow these steps:

Apply online as part of your main Student Finance application.

  1. Send in evidence to Student Finance . You’ll be told what evidence you need to provide when you apply. Normally this is evidence of having a child such as a birth certificate.
  2. Student Finance will then update your account and state the amount of the Childcare Grant awarded for the year.
  3. You can then create an online account with the Childcare Grant Payment Service (CCGPS). You’ll will receive an email with instructions on how to create an account. The grant will be paid into this account.

Applicants may use the paper form instead if they:

  • have already applied for student finance but didn’t apply for a childcare grant at the same time
  • wish to apply for another child

You can download the form from the Student Finance form finder.

Contacting Student Finance England

You can contact Student Finance for updates by phone, Facebook or Twitter. The main contacts are updated on the Student Finance website. Your online account will update your final award notification and allow you to track your application. The details of the assessment progress and additional information required may not show on your account so contacting Student Finance is the main way of gaining detailed feedback. The phone lines can be very busy, so secure Facebook and Twitter may well be using another, more suitable secure option.

Find out more

Information if your maintenance loan is reduced

How maintenance loans are calculated

If you are under 25 on the first day of your course, Student Finance will request income details from a parent or both parents that you normally live with. If you are over this age and living with a partner, you will have to supply your partner’s income details . Any earned income from the student, applying for funding from employment or self-employment, is not required and does not influence the loan.

Student Finance ask for the income tax year from two years ago. So, if you start your course in Sept 2021 they will ask for income details from April 19/20. You can use this calculator to help check your loan.

Please remember some courses run for longer periods during the academic year so the calculator may not include any entitlement to extra ‘long course’ loans.

Reduced maintenance loans

Missing income checks

Final year undergraduate


Current year income assessments

Student Finance ask for the income tax year from two years ago. If your household income has recently dropped by at least 15% you can ask for a current income year check. You can also look at the Student Finance calculator for an estimate based on new income details.

To apply for a current income assessment, you can fill in this additional form. Please remember that parent/s or a partner may have to estimate their current income which could result in an underpayment or overpayment of the maintenance loan. This Student Finance webpage can help with further advice.

You may also find it helpful to talk to the Money Advice team, especially if you have tried every option available to improve your loan without success.

Book an appointment

NHS learner support fund from September 2021

Details of the new NHS Learning Support Fund for September 2021 and the latest updates can be found on the NHS Learning Support Fund website. You can also look at this document which contains some useful answers to common questions.

EU student finance – Continuing and new European Union (EU) students

Continuing EU students that have already started their course before 31 July 2021 have a range of finance options and application processes. These options, to date, have not changed for continuing students but it is worth visiting the Home Office website to be aware of the EU Settlement Scheme for all EU students studying in the UK.

Standard EU students can only receive tuition fee loans and not a maintenance loan from Student Finance England.

Applications are made via a separate application.

EU migrant workers for continuing students

New EU students for 2021

Other options for EU students could be around how long you have resided in the UK before the start of the course.

If eligible, this could allow you to gain a full student finance assessment with an application as a home student to Student Finance England.

Studying and having a child

If you are considering taking some time out to have a child, you can find out more about the options available to you online or by visiting the UCAS website, where they have put together a range of information for students with parenting responsibilities.

Maintenance loans, leaving during the academic year and interrupting studies 

When you apply for financial support for living costs, Student Finance will confirm the maintenance loan for the full academic year. These loans are paid in three instalments throughout the year – one at the beginning of each semester (other than in Scotland, where loans are paid differently).

If you leave during the term, the entitlement will be recalculated based on the period of attendance, up to the withdrawal date. As payments are made at the start of each term in advance, any amount of loan paid to you more than this may result in an ‘overpayment’ and this will need to be repaid. There is helpful information from the Student Loans Company about your loan and leaving during the year.

You can check with academic records for their official last date of engagement on your course and this information will be held with Academic Registry and shared with Student Finance.

Help with a reduced loan due to a previous overpayment

Funding while suspending studies

Returning to complete a final course placement in the following academic year

In some circumstances, such as for PGCE and NHS courses, a final course placement may be outstanding and this may be required to be commenced and completed in the next academic year.

For September programmes, this may mean that a student has studied on a course during September 2021 to July 2022 but is required to return in the academic year 2022/23 to complete a final placement.

In situations like this, it is advisable to consider re-applying to Student Finance for a maintenance loans to help towards the personal costs associated with the placement.

As this will amount to additional money to be repaid after graduation, it is a good idea to complete a short budget showing potential costs and income. This could help to establish the amount of loan you may need for the placement and for the time afterwards whilst another source of income is established.

Claiming back tuition fee loan entitlement with compelling personal reasons 

You may have been ill or have personal circumstances that result in repeating a year and in this situation you can request a Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) claim through Student Finance. A successful CPR claim could help protect tuition fee entitlement for future study.

Student Finance will require medical evidence or other official personal evidence to claim CPR for the year that you experienced compelling personal reasons. The evidence should show how the situation impacted directly on completing a year of study.

Check the CPR process online

A successful CPR claim could help increase tuition fee entitlement. Please note that previous tuition fee loans for years when you withdrew cannot be cancelled but eligibility, if required for further tuition fee loans, could be claimed.

Students without family support and estranged student finance

People who are considering university or who are already studying a degree may experience a situation where they do not have support from a family network and may be interested in being assessed by Student Finance as being ‘irreconcilably estranged from their parents’. If eligible, a full maintenance loan will be issued without assessing the income of parents and this avoids situations where a student must depend on parental income details being shared and assessed by Student Finance.

Student Finance will consider a student to be ‘irreconcilably estranged from their parents’ if they have not had verbal or written contact with both biological or adoptive parents or their only living parent for a significant period (usually, for a period of at least twelve months, but they will consider all cases) and this situation will not change.

Stand Alone and SFE have guides and details of how to apply.

Student Finance can be contact via email to help with processing supporting evidence.

Independent status for students under 25

Most students under 25 require their parent or parents to share their income details with Student Finance. In certain situations, some students may have complete financial independence from their parents as they have supported themselves away from their parents for at least three years before the start of their course. This means they could request Student Finance to consider them as  independent which will mean their maintenance loans will not be influenced by parental income. The only earned income that will then be relevant would be if a student lives with a partner or earns other regular income from a pension or investment. Any paid income the student may earn from employment or self-employment will not be considered in the assessment.

In order to gain independence, applicants can send evidence to show they have lived independently and earned a certain amount of money. Student Finance will assess income evidence, such as P60s, pay slips, utility bills or letter-headed information from an employer.

UCAS and the SLC have further information on independent status.

Deferring your loan

If you wish to defer your course you will need to reapply to Student Finance when the new application window opens .This is usually around February or March for September courses and we recommend you apply before the advisory deadline to ensure your funding is in place before the course starts.

All loans taken out since 2012 to date (July 2020) follow the ‘Student Loan Plan 2’ terms and conditions.

View the current interest rates and repayment thresholds


The University offers a range of scholarships which are worth up to £2,000. Our scholarships celebrate determination, commitment and achievement in a variety of areas, as well as rewarding academic excellence, overcoming adversity, promoting equality, inspiring others and making an outstanding contribution to student life.

Interest on student finance loans

Student finance repayments, unlike other forms of finance, are based around how much a graduate earns. This form of finance does not appear on credit reports, although the loan does incur interest.

Find out more about student finance repayments

When you’re at university:

While you’re studying, up until the April after you leave your course, the Government applies interest at the Retail Price Index (RPI) level, plus 3%.

When you’ve left your course:

From the April after you’ve left your course, interest charged is based on your income, up to a maximum of the RPI plus 3%.

Interest rate you will be charged, when you repay your loan, also depends on the year that a loan was taken out, such as ‘plan 2’ loans taken from September 2012.

The interest changes annually, on 1st September each year.

View the current rates

Alternative finance

Religious faith may mean taking out a student loan and paying the required inflation based interest is an issue for some students and could be prohibited for religious reasons. The UK government conducted a public consultation in 2014, which has resulted in an agreement to offer an alternative finance product. This was followed by a White Paper in 2016, which resulted in a decision to work towards an alternative Sharia-compliant finance for students.

The NUS and the Federation of Student Islamic Societies also met with Department for Education to discuss Sharia compliant Student Finance.

The suggested alternative financial product would not be interest based and would result in identical graduate repayments to the current student loan system. No further product details (As at January 28th, 2022) have been published. Updates will appear on associated Government sites.

You may find it useful to contact a local Imam to discuss Sharia-compliant finance and access to education if you are unsure what to do.

Other finances you may wish to consider

Bursaries and grants

A select amount of courses offer a tax-free bursary or grant (subject to eligibility criteria), such as PGCE education bursaries and NHS training grants.

Edgehill Student Support Fund

Edge Hill University’s Student Support Fund provides help for eligible full time and part time students who have serious financial difficulties or whose access to higher education might be inhibited because of financial reasons. If you qualify for an award, the fund may provide a contribution towards your living costs but does not provide support with Tuition Fees.

Student support fund