These collections provide instant access to scholarly research, journal articles and book reviews. They may be accessed 24/7 and each collection has its own help and guidance on the home page.
- Academic Search Premier is a large multidisciplinary database offering a wide range of full text peer reviewed journal articles, indexes and abstracts.
- Box of Broadcasts is an on demand TV and radio service for education. The academically-focused system enables you to record programmes from over 65 free-to-air channels, and search an extensive archive. Box of Broadcasts is intuitive and easy to use, so you may find you can start straight away
- SAGE Research Methods is a database which supports research at all levels by providing material to guide users through every step of the research process. Resources include a methods map, case studies, datasets, books, reference works, journal articles and instructional videos from world-leading academics.
- ScienceDirect is a resource that offers full text Journal articles for subjects, Physical Sciences and Engineering, Life Sciences, Health Sciences, Social Sciences and also Humanities.
- Taylor and Francis Online is a collection of multidisciplinary journals covering subjects from Arts, Humanities, Computer Sciences, Social Sciences, Geography, Sports and many more.
Remember that we also have significant amount of e-books, including essential texts available in the Westlaw and LexisNexis databases.
Newspapers can be a useful way of keeping up to date with current affairs or recent events. Newspaper archives usually contain issues which are less recent and which are useful for finding articles of a more historical interest.
- Daily Mail Historical Archive 1896-2004 contains news stories and images that capture 20th century culture and society. Offers full page and article images with searchable full text back to the first issue. Useful for historical research.
- Gale OneFile: News contains articles from over 2300 newspapers from around the world. These include major British newspapers, as well as US and Australian titles. It also has thousands of images, radio and TV broadcasts and transcripts.
- Lexis+ contains over 650 regional and national UK newspapers from 1982 to the present. It is possible to limit your search to either national or regional titles, or you can search the whole of the newspaper database. Enter Lexis and click content and select Newspapers.
- Times Digital Archive contains every issue of The Times from 1785 to 2019. You can search by keyword or for a particular issue and each story appears as it looks in the original copy of the newspaper.
- Amnesty International are a global human rights campaigning organisation.
- Barnado’s are the largest children’s charity in the UK.
- British Society of Criminology are an academic and professional association for those who work, teach or research within the fields of crime, criminal behaviour and criminal justice systems.
- Centre for Justice & Reconciliation promotes the use of restorative justice in criminal justice systems around the world.
- The Child Poverty Action Group is a charity that campaigns to end child poverty in the UK.
- The Children’s Society are a charity that work with vulnerable children and young people.
- European Institute for Crime Prevention and Control (HEUNI) is an independent research and policy making institute. The website contains the full text of its publications.
- The Howard League for Penal Reform is a charity that campaigns for penal reform.
- Human Rights Watch is a non-profit, non-governmental human rights organisation.
- Liberty is an organisation that campaigns for civil liberties and human rights in the UK.
- National Children’s Bureau campaign on behalf of disadvantaged children.
- NSPCC are a children’s charity that campaigns to end abuse against children.
- The Prison Reform Trust campaigns for more effective community disposals and penal reform.
- Stonewall the lesbian, gay and bi-sexual charity renowned for campaigning and lobbying.
- Unicef are a United Nations organisation that campaign for children’s rights. The website contains publications section with reports on issues effecting children.
- Women’s Aid is a national UK charity working to end domestic violence against women and children.