Computer science, engineering, IT and web development
These collections provide instant access to scholarly research, journal articles and book reviews. They may be accessed 24/7 and each collection has its own help and guidance on the home page.
Key Journal Collections
- IEEE Xplore is a digital library providing full text access to the world’s highest quality technical literature in electrical engineering, computer science, electronics, and related disciplines. You might find this short video on searching with IEEE Xplore useful.
- International Journal of Distributed Systems and Technologies is a journal that focuses on integration techniques, methods, and tools employed in applied distributed computing systems, architectures, and technologies.
- SAGE Research Methods is a database which supports research at all levels by providing material to guide users through every step of the research process. Resources include a methods map, case studies, datasets, books, reference works, journal articles and instructional videos from world-leading academics.
Additional Journal Collections
- Academic Search Premier is a multi-disciplinary database which offers full text access to a vast range of scholarly journals.
- Box of Broadcasts is an on demand TV and radio service for education. The academically-focused system enables you to record programmes from over 65 free-to-air channels, and search an extensive archive. Box of Broadcasts is intuitive and easy to use, so you may find you can start straight away.
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) is an online directory that indexes and provides access to high quality, open access, peer-reviewed journals.
- Emerald Insight is a long established publisher in the fields of management, information science and engineering.
- ScienceDirect is a leading full-text scientific database offering journal articles and book chapters from more than 2,500 journals and almost 20,000 books.
- Scopus is the world’s largest abstract and citation database, containing 24,600 journals from 5,000 publishers. It is excellent for literature reviews or for finding out what has been published in your area as it can locate high quality journal articles, book chapters and more, for any subject.
Newspapers can be a useful way of keeping up to date with current affairs or recent events. Newspaper archives usually contain issues which are less recent and which are useful for finding articles of a more historical interest.
- Daily Mail Historical Archive 1896-2004 contains news stories and images that capture 20th century culture and society. Offers full page and article images with searchable full text back to the first issue. Useful for historical research.
- Gale OneFile: News contains articles from over 2300 newspapers from around the world. These include major British newspapers, as well as US and Australian titles. It also has thousands of images, radio and TV broadcasts and transcripts.
- Lexis+ contains over 650 regional and national UK newspapers from 1982 to the present. It is possible to limit your search to either national or regional titles, or you can search the whole of the newspaper database. Enter Lexis+ Click content and select Newspapers.
- Times Digital Archive contains every issue of The Times from 1785 to 2019. You can search by keyword or for a particular issue and each story appears as it looks in the original copy of the newspaper.
- BCS – The Chartered Institute for IT champions the IT profession.
- Federation Against Software Theft provides advice and examples of best practice for software asset management and for achieving licence compliance.
- Information Commissioner’s Office is the UK’s independent public body set up to uphold information rights in the public interest, promoting openness by public bodies and data privacy for individuals.
- Mashable is a leading source for news, information and resources for the Connected Generation. Mashable reports on the importance of digital innovation and how it affects people around the world.
- WhatIs.com is useful free encyclopaedia of IT terms including over 7,500 definitions as well as topical fast references, cheat sheets and quizzes.
- ZDNet brings together the reach of global and the depth of local, delivering 24/7 news coverage and analysis on the trends, technologies and opportunities that matter to IT professionals and decision makers.
- IET – Institution of Engineering and Technology has a dedicated Student Hub Student Hub – The IET with careers advice, student membership and a magazine.
- Royal Academy of Engineering With the goal of harnessing the power of engineering to build a sustainable society and an inclusive economy that works for everyone. The Society offers grants and prizes for engineers at every career stage in the UK.
Catalyst has several workstations that contain specialist software for Computer Science students and that can be booked for between 1 and 3 hours. The available software includes: