Our Social Sciences degrees immerse you in the study of society and human behaviour, expand your sociological imagination and examine the social, cultural, economic and political forces that influence individuals and communities around the world.
You can explore the changing local, national and global situations which shape the lives of children and their families, study the perceptions and realities of children and early childhood, or focus on themes central to the development of contemporary societies.
You will gain the skills required to become a critical independent thinker as you specialise in childhood & youth studies, early childhood studies or sociology, or a combination of these and other subjects, with the opportunity to broaden your horizons through work-based learning and field trips in the UK and Europe.
Studying at Edge Hill has opened my eyes and my mind to a whole range of experiences and ideas that I didn’t expect.
BA (Hons) Childhood & Youth Studies
I am a firm believer that everyone should study social sciences. It provides you with knowledge about society, allows you to think about life and definitely makes you a better individual.
BA (Hons) Sociology
Social Sciences in the News
- Graduate vows to make a difference to the lives of struggling children
- Academic wins IOC grant to investigate abuse education in sport
- Academic expertise highlighted in world’s only online magazine dedicated to addressing racism
- New research centre on safeguarding in sport generates hope for real change
- BA (Hons) Childhood & Youth Studies
- BA (Hons) Childhood & Youth Studies and Criminology
- BA (Hons) Childhood & Youth Studies and Sociology
- BA (Hons) Criminology and Sociology
- BA (Hons) Early Childhood Studies
- BA (Hons) Early Childhood Studies and Sociology
- BA (Hons) Education and Sociology
- BA (Hons) Politics and Sociology
- BA (Hons) Sociology
The Department of Social Sciences is based in Creative Edge, a state-of-the-art £17m building offering highly contemporary facilities for Social Sciences students.
The building features a lecture theatre, seminar rooms, IT facilities and smaller tutorial spaces. There are also social learning areas which encourage a more informal and interactive style of learning.
Creative Edge 360 Virtual Tour
Open Days and Virtual Events
If you are considering studying at Edge Hill University, the best way we usually recommend to gain an insight into the student experience is to see our stunning campus for yourself by attending an open day.
Our October and November 2020 open days are going virtual. We will ensure that you can still discover everything that Edge Hill University has to offer and get answers to all of your questions. You will be able to find out more about social sciences and the University through a series of online activities.