Social Sciences at Edge Hill combines a supportive atmosphere with cutting-edge modules like Critical Autism Studies or Young People and Social Media. And there are a whole range of career paths to explore too – researcher, mental health worker, police officer or international aid. Or you might decide to work with children in schools or even rehabilitate young offenders. Learn about the world with us and discover your place in it.
The 21st century is complicated and rapidly changing. But studying social sciences gives you the chance to understand the world and your place in it.
You can tailor your course to your own interests. Study topics like critical autism studies or human animal relations. Our lecturers research specialist areas such as child protection, disability or gender studies. This means they’ll help you discover the cultural, economic and political forces that influence communities around the world.
There’s more to our courses than academic study. To help you understand real world challenges, we invite professionals to come in from practice in childcare, youth work and child psychology. You can also complete a work placement, go on field trips and apply your learning to global issues.
- It’s no wonder 95.6% of students are in employment or further study (Graduate Outcomes 2017/18) – you’ll gain work experience, meet working professionals, and explore specialist subjects such as youth work or play therapy.
- Our expert researchers are exploring areas like disability, gender and child protection. And with a range of specialist modules, you’ll be at the forefront of the world of social sciences.
- Become a global citizen. Learn about the world and experience more of it with field trips and study abroad opportunities.
Studying at Edge Hill has opened my eyes and my mind to a whole range of experiences and ideas that I didn’t expect.
BA (Hons) Childhood & Youth Studies
I am a firm believer that everyone should study social sciences. It provides you with knowledge about society, allows you to think about life and definitely makes you a better individual.
BA (Hons) Sociology
Social Sciences in the News
- Graduate vows to make a difference to the lives of struggling children
- Academic wins IOC grant to investigate abuse education in sport
- Academic expertise highlighted in world’s only online magazine dedicated to addressing racism
- New research centre on safeguarding in sport generates hope for real change
- BA (Hons) Childhood & Youth Studies
- BA (Hons) Childhood & Youth Studies and Criminology
- BA (Hons) Childhood & Youth Studies and Sociology
- BA (Hons) Criminology and Sociology
- BA (Hons) Early Childhood Studies
- BA (Hons) Early Childhood Studies and Sociology
- BA (Hons) Education and Sociology
- BA (Hons) Politics and Sociology
- BA (Hons) Sociology
You may also be interested in:
The Department of Social Sciences is based in Creative Edge, a state-of-the-art £17m building offering highly contemporary facilities for Social Sciences students.
The building features a lecture theatre, seminar rooms, IT facilities and smaller tutorial spaces. There are also social learning areas which encourage a more informal and interactive style of learning.
Creative Edge 360 Virtual Tour
Open Days and Virtual Events
Our virtual open day pages offer the chance to discover everything that Edge Hill University has to offer and find out more about any subjects of interest, including social sciences, through a series of online activities.
You can view exclusive video content, including pre-recorded presentations about the University and our courses, take a virtual tour of the campus, and find out more about student life, accommodation and student support.