Our Social Sciences degrees immerse you in the study of society and human behaviour, expand your sociological imagination and examine the social, cultural, economic and political forces that influence individuals and communities around the world.
You can explore the changing local, national and global situations which shape the lives of children and their families, study the perceptions and realities of children and early childhood, or focus on themes central to the development of contemporary societies.
You will gain the skills required to become a critical independent thinker as you specialise in childhood and youth studies, early childhood studies or sociology, or a combination of these and other subjects, with the opportunity to broaden your horizons through work-based learning and field trips in the UK and Europe.
- BA (Hons) Childhood and Youth Studies
- BA (Hons) Childhood & Youth Studies and Criminology
- BA (Hons) Childhood & Youth Studies and Sociology
- BA (Hons) Criminology and Sociology
- BA (Hons) Early Childhood Studies
- BA (Hons) Early Childhood Studies and Sociology
- BA (Hons) Education and Sociology
- BA (Hons) Politics and Sociology
- BA (Hons) Sociology
The Department of Social Sciences is based in Creative Edge, a state-of-the-art £17m building offering highly contemporary facilities for Social Sciences students.
The building features a lecture theatre, seminar rooms, IT facilities and smaller tutorial spaces. There are also social learning areas which encourage a more informal and interactive style of learning.