Skip Navigation

These pages outline the tuition fees and financial support arrangements for UK students joining a full-time conversion programme to honours degree at Edge Hill University between August 2023 and July 2024.

We can help explain what student funding you may be entitled to receive and how to apply for it.


Please note, the information on these pages may be subject to change.

Exceptions may apply if you have enrolled on any previous higher education study, even if you didn’t achieve a qualification, or if the course you are joining at Edge Hill University is of an equivalent or lower level to a qualification you already hold.

EU/EEA and Swiss students who have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme, as well as Irish nationals, may be eligible for the UK tuition fee rate and associated financial support. Irish nationals can ordinarily apply to Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI). Please see our dedicated guide to EU student finance for further information.

Tuition fees

If you are a UK student joining a full-time conversion degree at Edge Hill University between August 2023 and July 2024, the tuition fee will be £9,250.

Eligible students will not have to pay up-front for their tuition and can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan to cover the cost of the course fees.

Exceptions may apply if the course you are joining at Edge Hill University is of an equivalent or lower level to a qualification you already hold, or if you have any previous higher education study, even if you didn’t achieve a qualification.


Tuition Fee Loans

You will be able to borrow the full cost of your tuition fee from the Government in the form of a Tuition Fee Loan (subject to eligibility).

Maintenance Loans

  • Available to help with living costs such as food, accommodation and travel.
  • The amount of Maintenance Loan you can apply for is determined by your household income, where you are going to live while you are studying, and additional criteria.
  • Usually paid in three instalments, directly to your bank or building society account.

Maintenance Loans are subject to different financial arrangements and eligibility criteria depending on whether you are domiciled in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or the EU. 

If you are domiciled in ScotlandWales or Northern Ireland, you should refer to the website of the relevant funding body for loan amounts and eligibility criteria.

The maximum Maintenance Loan amounts for eligible students domiciled in England are as follows:

  • A Maintenance Loan of up to £9,436 may be available if you live away from home.
  • A Maintenance Loan of up to £7,904 may be available if you live with your parents.

The maximum amount you can receive as a Maintenance Loan may increase if you qualify for certain benefits.

If you are domiciled in England and qualify for the relevant benefits, you may be eligible for an increased Maintenance Loan as follows:

  • A Maintenance Loan of up to £10,872 may be available if you live away from home.
  • A Maintenance Loan of up to £9,448 may be available if you live with your parents.

You may be eligible for the increased Maintenance Loan if you meet any of the following criteria:

  • You are a lone parent who is responsible for a child or a young person aged under 20 who is a member of your household and who is in full-time education.
  • You are a lone foster parent of a child or young person aged under 20.
  • You have a partner who is also a full-time student and one or both of you are responsible for a child or young person aged under 20 who is in full-time non-advanced education.
  • You have a disability and qualify for a Disability Premium or Severe Disability Premium.
  • You have been treated as incapable of work for a continuous period of at least 28 weeks (two or more periods of incapacity separated by a break of no more than eight weeks count as one continuous period).
  • You are deaf and qualify for Disabled Students’ Allowances.
  • You are waiting to go back to a course having taken approved time out because of an illness or caring responsibility that has now come to an end for a period not exceeding one year.
  • You are entitled to Personal Independence Payment, Armed Forces Independence Payment or Disability Living Allowance.
  • You are entitled to housing benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit.

For those students entitled to benefits who qualify for an increased Maintenance Loan, the Maintenance Loan will consist of a special support element which will be disregarded as student income when calculating benefits. The maximum special support element of a Maintenance Loan will be £4,221 of the overall maximum Maintenance Loan amount. There is no special support element within the standard Maintenance Loan.

Students aged 60 or over on the first day of the first year of their course may be entitled to a Maintenance Loan up to a maximum of £4,221.

Loan repayments

You will not have to start repaying the total of your student loans until the April after you have completed your course and are earning above a certain threshold amount. The Government has announced that repayment thresholds for students joining conversion degrees in academic year 2023/24 will be £25,000 a year.

The amount you repay will be linked to your income. Each year you will be expected to repay 9% of your income that is above the repayment threshold. So, for example, if your salary is £30,000 a year, with a repayment threshold of £25,000 a year, the 9% repayment would only apply to £5,000, meaning you would repay around £37.50 a month. If your income falls below the repayment threshold, for any reason, you will not have to make repayments until your income rises above this threshold again.

The Government will typically apply interest on your student loans at inflation (Retail Price Index – RPI) plus 3%, while you are studying, and up until the April you are due to start repaying. The interest rate will vary from the April you are due to start repaying, subject to your income level. A Government cap of 7.3% is currently in place until August 2023 on the maximum interest rate that can be applied to most student loans. Further information about student loan repayments is available on GOV.UK.

The Student Loans Company will work with HM Revenue and Customs to collect repayments. They will be taken by your employer and shown on your pay statement. If you are self-employed, the repayments will be collected through the tax self-assessment system. No early repayment charges will be made. Any monies still owed after 40 years will be written off.

If you leave your course early, you will still have to repay your student loans. Leaving a course during term time can result in the overpayment of a Maintenance Loan. In these circumstances, you should contact Student Finance England, or the equivalent funding body, about the option of completing a financial hardship application to move any overpayments to your graduate repayment plan.

Alternative funding

Religious faith may mean taking out student loans and paying the required inflation-based interest is an issue for some students and could be prohibited for religious reasons.

The Government is working towards an alternative Sharia-compliant student finance package for these circumstances. The suggested alternative financial product would result in identical graduate repayments to the current student loan system but would not be interest based.

Further details are awaited from the Government. In the meantime, you may find it useful to contact a local Imam to discuss Sharia-compliant finance if you have any concerns. Alternative sources of funding, while limited, are outlined on our money advice webpages.


Supplementary grants and allowances

Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to additional financial support from the Government, such as Adult Dependants’ Grant, Childcare Grant, Disabled Students’ Allowance and Parents’ Learning Allowance.

  • Adult Dependants’ Grant – means-tested support of up to £3,354 a year if you have to care for an adult dependant, who is not your grown-up child, while studying (subject to eligibility).
  • Childcare Grant – means-tested support designed to contribute up to 85% towards your childcare costs if you have a dependent child/children in the care of an Ofsted-registered childcare provider while you study. Childcare grants for academic year 2023/24 are worth up to a maximum of £188.90 per week for one child only or up to £323.85 per week for two or more children (subject to eligibility).
  • Disabled Students’ Allowance – support tailored to your individual needs if you have a disability or specific learning difficulty. Disabled Students’ Allowances are worth up to £26,291 for eligible students in academic year 2023/24. These allowances are designed to help with the cost of specialist equipment (such as computer software), extra travel costs due to a disability, or other support necessary to enable you to study. You should be aware that £26,291 is the maximum amount and most students get less.
  • Parents’ Learning Allowance – means-tested support of up to £1,915 a year if you have children who are wholly or mainly financially dependent on you.


A range of scholarships are available to current students which you can apply for, or be nominated for, once you are enrolled on a conversion degree and studying with us (some exclusions may apply).

You can also make the most of your student experience and take advantage of career enhancing opportunities by applying for financial support from our Student Opportunity Fund.

For more information on the full range of scholarships, including eligibility criteria for each award, visit

How to apply

Loans and grants

We strongly recommend applying for financial support as early as possible to ensure your application is received and processed in good time.

The funding application process for English-domiciled students is as follows:

  • Applications are made online to Student Finance England at Applications are expected to open in early 2023.
  • After you have applied for student funding, you will be able to manage your account online.
  • If you have withdrawn from a previous course due to compelling personal reasons, you could be eligible to receive an extra year of tuition fee support. You should send evidence of your personal reasons for repeating a year to Student Finance England as soon as you have applied for student funding.
  • Once your application has been assessed, you will receive a Student Finance Entitlement Letter outlining the support you have applied for and can expect to receive. The Student Finance Entitlement Letter can also be viewed online. If the financial support outlined in your Student Finance Entitlement Letter is not what you anticipated, you are welcome to contact us for advice.

The funding application process is different if you are a student domiciled in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. You should consult the website of the relevant funding body for further information on the application process you will need to follow:

Previous study

If you have previously undertaken a course of higher education, such as a foundation degree, and you plan to ‘top-up’ by studying a conversion programme to honours degree, you should be eligible to apply for the standard financial support package for conversion degree students.

However, all preliminary courses, including repeat years, may impact on your eligibility to receive full funding for a conversion degree and you should contact us for clarification.

If you have withdrawn from a previous course due to compelling personal reasons, such as illness, mental health, bereavement, pregnancy or a caring responsibility, you could be eligible to receive an extra year of tuition fee support.

Please visit our previous study page to find out more about previous study and equivalent and lower qualifications.

Previous study and equivalent and lower qualifications

Contact us

If you have any queries about tuition fees or scholarships, or if you have any queries about previous study and the potential impact it may have on your eligibility for financial support, you can email Academic Registry.

If you have any questions about your eligibility for financial support, or if you wish to receive advice and guidance on applying for funding (including support in completing funding applications), you can get in touch with the Money Advice Team.

Alternatively, you can contact the Students’ Union Advice and Representation Centre.

Please note, all advice and guidance provided by the University is subject to any information which you choose to impart to us, about your individual circumstances, being correct.

The advice and guidance you receive will be based upon current eligibility criteria from external organisations, such as the Student Loans Company. However, if any changes are made to this eligibility criteria by an external organisation, the University cannot be held responsible.

All staff will treat any information you share with them in the strictest confidence.

Further information

Our Student Services webpages includes money advice, including useful tips on how to increase your income and reduce your expenses while at university, together with advice about keeping track of your finances and managing your money effectively.