Skip Navigation

Previous study and equivalent and lower qualifications

Have you:

  • previously completed a degree or masters level qualification?
  • started a higher education course but withdrawn without gaining a qualification?
  • completed a foundation degree and looking to top-up?

If you’ve previously started or completed any higher education qualifications, we recommend you read the information on this page and check your eligibility with Student Finance England.

If you live in Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales, check the website of the relevant funding body for their specific criteria relating to previous study.

Prospective students from the EU should visit our EU student finance page for more information.

How does previous study affect how much funding I will receive for my new course?

If you’ve studied a higher education course before (at Level 4 or Level 5), even if you didn’t complete it, this may have an impact on the funding you can receive from student finance. We recommend UK students check their student funding entitlement with Student Finance England.

To find out how your previous higher education study may impact your eligibility for financial support, please view the relevant dropdown box below.

I already have a degree or higher education level qualification.
I have previously withdrawn or transferred from a higher education course.
I want to ‘top up’ my foundation degree.
I’d like to study part-time, but I’ve previously withdrawn or transferred from a higher education course.
Which courses are exempt from previous study rules?

The above exemptions apply for Student Finance England. You should contact the relevant funding body for confirmation of your eligibility.

Get in touch with us

If you think your eligibility to receive financial support may be affected by previous study, or if the programme you intend to study at Edge Hill University is of an equivalent or lower level to a higher education qualification you already hold, it is important to clarify your situation.

You do not have to be a student or applicant to contact us. Our friendly support services can provide advice and, in some cases, may also be able to help you in dealing with Student Finance England to improve your funding.

Academic Registry

If you have any queries about tuition fees, you can email Academic Registry.

Money Advice Team

If you have any questions about previous study and the potential impact it may have on your eligibility for financial support, you can get in touch with the Money Advice Team.

Students’ Union Advice and Representation Centre

Alternatively, you can contact the Students’ Union Advice and Representation Centre on the below information.