Things Not Going to Plan?

Don’t panic

First of all, if things aren’t going as you hoped – don’t panic or make any rushed decisions. Whatever is going on, we can help.

You are not on your own. Here are some common problems:

  • You’ve not made friends.
  • You don’t like your course.
  • You are worried about money.
  • You feel like you can’t cope.
  • Uni life isn’t what you expected.
  • You want to be closer to home.

Whatever is going on, the best thing you can do is speak to someone about your situation, your options and the support available. That way, you can make an informed decision, and be confident that it is the right thing for you.

You can speak to the Transitions team

If you are thinking about leaving (or you feel you may be heading that way) and you would rather speak to someone outside of your department, you can speak to a member of the Transitions team.

You can talk to them about whatever is going on and they can give you an overview of support available. If you choose to stay, they can also help you manage things until you are back on track. Whatever you decide your next steps are, the team will support you to ensure that they are positive ones.

Appointments During the Coronavirus Outbreak

To support you during the Covid-19 pandemic, the Transitions team will be offering a mix of in-person and virtual appointments. To book an initial appointment, please click on the button below.

Book an Initial Appointment (Virtual)

If you have already had an initial appointment with the the team, you can book a follow-up appointment by clicking on the button below.

Book a Follow-Up Appointment (Virtual)


Click for the latest coronavirus update from the University, where you will also find a list of frequently asked questions.

Support available includes:

  • Emotional and wellbeing support.
  • Help with making friends and feeling involved in uni life.
  • Support with any health issue (mental or physical).
  • Study skills and learning support.
  • Financial support and advice.
  • Support with accommodation.
  • Careers and job-hunting advice.

Click to view a brief overview of support available.

You can speak to your tutor

Your tutor can talk to you about both personal and academic issues. They may also agree special actions or arrangements (e.g. extensions) with you to make things easier.

There are a number of academic changes which may be available to you:

  • Agreeing special arrangements with your tutors, e.g. extensions.
  • Submitting an EMC (Exceptional Mitigating Circumstances) form.
  • Reassessment support.
  • Academic appeals.
  • Interrupting your studies (taking time out).
  • Repeating a year.
  • Changing modules.
  • Transferring course.
  • Transferring mode of study from full-time to part-time (or vice versa).
  • Withdrawal.

More information about these options is available on the Academic Registry webpages.

You can speak to Academic Registry

Based in the Student Administration Building (previously known as the Student Information Centre or SIC), Academic Registry staff can give you specialist advice about what options are available to you.

They can also explain any financial implications and help you to process potential course changes.

Getting in touch

Your department can put you in touch with your tutor.
Transitions team:
Academic Registry:

Last updated on Last updated on Was this page helpful? Yes No Thanks for your feedback! Please tell us more: