Operating Department Practice (ODP)

Introduction

Operating department practitioners (ODPs) provide high standards of patient care and skilled support alongside medical and nursing colleagues during perioperative care, working with surgeons, anaesthetists and theatre nurses to help ensure every operation is as safe and effective as possible.

The starting salary on qualification is around £21,000 – £24,000 (NHS Band 5).

98% of Edge Hill ODP students who graduated in 2013 were employed within six months of graduating. (HESA Destination of Leavers from Higher Education 2012/13) with the remaining 2% undertaking further study.

Post-registration opportunities for further training and development are constantly growing and include roles such as Surgical Care Practitioners.

What does the role involve?

ODPs are required to apply theory to practice in a variety of clinical settings, supporting both patients and other healthcare professionals. The role has a wide remit with ODPs undertaking a variety of tasks, such as ensuring equipment is provided and working, the environment is clean, and patients are correctly prepared for clinical procedures.

Key roles of an ODP include:

  • Assisting in patient care either prior to, during or post surgery;
  • Preparation of a wide range of specialist equipment and drugs;
  • Assessing and monitoring patients physiological parameters and providing appropriate interventions during recovery from anaesthesia;
  • Working alongside the surgeon, providing correct surgical instruments and materials in order to ensure safe and efficient completion of surgical procedures;
  • Ensuring that surgical instruments, equipment and swabs are all accounted for throughout the surgical procedure;
  • Acting as the link between the surgical team and other parts of the theatre and hospital;
  • Assessing the patient to ensure they can be discharged back to a surgical ward area;
  • Evaluating the care given during the peri-operative phases (anaesthetics, surgery, recovery).

Watch a video on the role of an ODP

Why Study at Edge Hill University?

Disc39 SurgeryStudentProf20Edge Hill University has been named the Times Higher Education University of the Year 2014 and is one of the fastest growing universities in the UK.

The University has been rated as ‘Top in the North West for Student Satisfaction’ (Times/Sunday Times University Guide, 2014, National Student Survey 2013) and ‘Top in the North West’ for employability’ (HESA, Destination of Leavers from Higher Education 2012/13).

As a trainee in operating department practice at Edge Hill University, you will have access to some of the best facilities for health undergraduates in the UK, including leading edge clinical skills simulation facilities. You will graduate eligible to apply to the Health & Care Professions Council for registration as an Operating Department Practitioner.

You can choose to study this degree at either our Ormskirk campus or our Manchester city centre campus. For students studying at Ormskirk, there are clinical placements available across Merseyside. For students studying at Manchester, clinical placements are available throughout Greater Manchester and East Cheshire. We will endeavour, where possible, to place you in a trust near to where you live.

95% of BSc ODP students are satisfied with their placement allocation (National Student Survey 2013)

The Faculty of Health and Social Care has been commended by the Quality Assurance Agency for the quality of teaching and learning, student progression and learning resources.  The Faculty has also achieved the Customer Service Excellence standard (December 2014).

The Edge Hill University experience is designed to prepare all students for their future careers. We have an excellent track record in graduate employment

Edge Hill is also bucking the national trend and has seen applications to study increase five-fold in the past 10 years.

Last updated on Last updated on Was this page helpful? Yes NoThanks for your feedback!Please tell us more: