Operating department practitioners (ODPs) provide high standards of patient care and skilled support alongside medical and nursing colleagues during perioperative care, working with surgeons, anaesthetists and theatre nurses to help ensure every operation is as safe and effective as possible.
Post-registration opportunities for further training and development are constantly growing and include roles such as Surgical Care Practitioners.
What does the role involve?
ODPs are required to apply theory to practice in a variety of clinical settings, supporting both patients and other healthcare professionals. The role has a wide remit with ODPs undertaking a variety of tasks, such as ensuring equipment is provided and working, the environment is clean, and patients are correctly prepared for clinical procedures.
Key roles of an ODP include:
- Assisting in patient care either prior to, during or post surgery;
- Preparation of a wide range of specialist equipment and drugs;
- Assessing and monitoring patients physiological parameters and providing appropriate interventions during recovery from anaesthesia;
- Working alongside the surgeon, providing correct surgical instruments and materials in order to ensure safe and efficient completion of surgical procedures;
- Ensuring that surgical instruments, equipment and swabs are all accounted for throughout the surgical procedure;
- Acting as the link between the surgical team and other parts of the theatre and hospital;
- Assessing the patient to ensure they can be discharged back to a surgical ward area;
- Evaluating the care given during the peri-operative phases (anaesthetics, surgery, recovery).
Why Study at Edge Hill University?
As a trainee in operating department practice at Edge Hill University, you will have access to some of the best facilities for health undergraduates in the UK, including leading edge clinical skills simulation facilities. You will graduate eligible to apply to the Health & Care Professions Council for registration as an Operating Department Practitioner.
You can choose to study this degree at either our Ormskirk campus or our Manchester city centre campus. For students studying at Ormskirk, there are clinical placements available across Merseyside. For students studying at Manchester, clinical placements are available throughout Greater Manchester and East Cheshire. We will endeavour, where possible, to place you in a trust near to where you live.
The Edge Hill University experience is designed to prepare all students for their future careers. We have an excellent track record in graduate employment
Edge Hill is also bucking the national trend and has seen applications to study increase five-fold in the past 10 years.