BA (Hons) Animation course preparation
To help you feel prepared for your university studies, we’ve gathered together a range of course related activities including suggested reading, useful websites and some great things to do right now. Use this page to find out more:
You’ll be given lots of information about which textbooks to read and introduced to the University Library, as well as the many ebooks we have for you to access, when you begin your studies in September.
In the meantime, there are a couple of suggested books you might like to read before starting your degree if you can. We don’t recommend rushing out to buy texts before you arrive but if you can pick some up second hand, borrow from a library or access online, we suggest:
- Bordwell, Thompson (2019) Film Art. McGraw
- Williams, R (2001) The Animators Survival Kit. Faber & Faber Publishing
Over the semester you’ll require the following materials:
- A6, A5, A4 and A3 sketchbooks
- A good quality external hard drive
- Range of drawing tools including:
- Oil pastels
- Soft pencils
- Selection of brushes
- Permanent black ink (colours optional)
- Acrylic/Watercolour paints (optional)
- Small wire cutters
- Long-nose pliers
- Stanley knife
- Art materials/toolbox
Throughout your studies you’ll have access to absolutely all of the facilities and equipment you’ll need, however some students like to purchase equipment before they start their studies. If you’d like to purchase any of this equipment before you start your studies, we recommend looking into pre-owned options.
- Portable external hard drive
- Graphics tablet/Wacom Cintiq
- Good quality digital SLR (we would recommend Canon)
Over the summer months you can prepare for your studies by familiarising yourself with online resources such as:
Things to do over summer
- Think about the type of animation you’re interested in, and start to come up with ideas for your animations.
- You can look at our current students work on our Vimeo.
- You can also check out our blog to see the type of things you might get up to during your degree.
Additional ways to prepare
Preparing to start
This session examines how to make a successful transition to university. From planning your results day, accommodation and commuting tips, extra support available to you and general advice on uni life.Watch the session
Find out more about who you are
The following information provides an insight into what to expect when coming to university along with some good advice on how to navigate some of the potential challenges you may face.Start preparing yourself