To help you feel prepared for your BSc (Hons) Business & Management with Marketing studies, we’ve gathered together a range of course related activities including suggested reading, useful websites and some great things to do right now. Read on to find out more:
You’ll be given far more information about which textbooks to read and introduced to the University Library, as well as the many ebooks we have for you to access when you begin your studies. And we don’t recommend rushing out to buy texts before you arrive. But if you can pick up a second hand copy, borrow from a library, or access online, just one textbook is recommended to help you to prepare for your Year 1 modules:
- Boddy, D (2012). Essentials of Management: A Concise Introduction. London: Pearson.
During your studies, detailed and updated reading lists are issued in the module handbooks, which are provided in the first session of each module.
You may also want to get a head start by reading up on general business and management subjects and ensuring that you are aware of the current local, regional, national and world developments taking place. Good quality daily newspapers business/management supplements, and magazines are an ideal starting ground for this knowledge.
Do something innovative
- Create a product or service you think you could launch. You may have to opportunity to create a limited company in our Graduate Enterprise module.
- If you enjoy graphic design or developing presentations, why not create some marketing material for a fictional company?
Things to do over summer
There are also lots of opportunities to take advantage of live and current research, especially in the field of business and management. Through research, you can expand your knowledge which will prove crucial throughout your degree, and maybe even at points within your future career. Below are some quick activities that could help you feel more prepared for your course
Consider the following-
- Consider how businesses have changed their marketing approach to reflect consumer needs.
Use Google Scholar to review literature on the topic and create a checklist for Business.
Read the following:
- Industry Week: Shared purpose leadership and culture at Covid 19 innovators
- Industry Week: Will covid 19 hasten the adoption of intelligent robots?
- Mckinsey: Supply chain recovery in corona virus times – plan now and for the future
Why not conduct some research using the sources provided and others of your choice to provide recommendations on how supply chains can mitigate the impact of the pandemic?
- Business Wars
Sometimes the prize is your wallet, sometimes your attention. Sometimes, it’s just the fun of beating the other guy. This podcast explores how feuds between businesses can shape what we buy, and even the world we live in.
- The Marketing Companion
Dubbed as “the world’s most entertaining”, this marketing podcast combines celebrity spots, comedy and innovative marketing advice to educate and teach, with laughs along the way.
Trade Talks is a lively and popular podcast about the economics of trade and policy.
Videos to watch to get you thinking about pitches:
- Peter’s Threatened By Tech Tycoon | Dragons’ Den
- “Wait, You’ve Got a 90% Shareholder That Isn’t Here?” | Dragons’ Den –