Survey landscapes by drone. Study the political situation on a field trip abroad. Analyse data with our Geographical Information Systems. If you’re curious about today’s big issues, our geography and geology community at Edge Hill is the perfect place to start exploring the world around you.
Curious about the big issues of today? Climate change, food security, geopolitics – our geography and geology degrees give you the tools to understand them.
In our inclusive and supportive community, you’ll be one of the team. Work with us on field trips, paid for by the department, where you can study a range of topics while minimising your impact on the environment.
Here at Edge Hill, we think big. And we have the facilities to help us do that – whether it’s our environmental analysis lab or our remote sensing suites, you’ll have all the tools to explore the landscapes around you.
- Develop your skills on one of our diverse fieldtrips paid for by the department. Our students have gone below sea level in Amsterdam and travelled through lava tubes in Tenerife.
- With our close links to industry employers, from engineering consultancies to government agencies and charities, we’ve made sure the course is directly relevant to the workplace. And thanks to career support available at every stage of your course, you’ll be ready for work as soon as you graduate.
- With events like our research seminars, you can be more involved in current thinking. Past students have presented in conferences, published dissertations, and one even named a fossil.
|Course Name||Qualification||UCAS Code|
|Geoenvironmental Hazards||BSc (Hons)||FF77|
|Geography & Geology||BSc (Hons)||FF68|
|Geology with Geography||BSc (Hons)||8T16|
|STEM Foundation Year||Not Applicable||Varies by pathway|
I felt like a different person after the Ullapool field trip. It felt like the defining moment of my degree.
BSc (Hons) Geography & Geology
Geography and Geology in the News
- Armchair Explorers: department leads the way on virtual innovation
- My Life in Volcanoes: Dr Joaquin Cortes
- Eureka Moments!
- Multiple Career Options with a Geography and Geology degree
- Field Trips: where can Geography and Geology take you?
- Research funding awarded to Edge Hill to help Thailand coastal communities tackle climate change
- Air quality project awarded Royal Society funding
- EHU Podcast: Talking palm oil and the environment
- Peatlands, the carbon cycle and climate change
- Award win for best-performing student
The Department of Geography’s modern and wide-ranging facilities combine with a friendly and supportive learning environment to ensure that your studies are a rich and rewarding experience.
The Geosciences building features a large lecture theatre, small group teaching rooms, physical geography and environmental science laboratories, a geology laboratory, a geo-engineering laboratory, geo-information laboratories and a large social area.
Geosciences Building 360 Virtual Tour
Open Days and Virtual Events
Alternatively, our virtual open day pages offer the chance to discover everything that Edge Hill University has to offer and find out more about any subjects of interest, including geography and geology, through a series of online activities.View our virtual open day pages