If you are in Years 1 or 2 of a full-time undergraduate programme, or Year 1 only of a full-time foundation degree, you could develop your sporting performance in academic year 2022/23 by applying for a Sports Scholarship worth up to £1,000 per academic year.
There are three distinctive levels of Sports Scholarship awards with different benefits and qualification criteria.
- Up to £1,000 towards training and competition expenses each academic year
- Free annual Edge Hill Sport and Team Edge Hill membership
- Free access to gym and other sports facilities
- Free personal training
- Sports science support package available based on your individual needs
- Access to strength and conditioning sessions and nutritional advice
- Free Sports Scholarship hoodie.
To be eligible to apply for a Sports Scholarship, you must be enrolled on one of the following Edge Hill University awards:
- Year 1 or Year 2 of a full-time undergraduate degree (BA/BEng/BSc/LLB/MBChB) or integrated Masters degree (MComp/MEng/MNSW/MSci)
- Year 1 of a full-time foundation degree.
Please note, while MBChB Medicine and MBChB Medicine with Foundation Year students are eligible to apply for a Sports Scholarship, the scholarship benefits available may vary from those outlined above due to the longer length of these programmes.
Your application will be judged to determine whether your application has been successful and, if so, to establish Gold, Silver or Bronze classification.
You will need to demonstrate that you meet one or more of the criteria below for a particular level of Sports Scholarship. The criteria serves as a preliminary guideline only and does not guarantee the receipt of a Sports Scholarship or a specific level of award. A cap applies to the overall amount of money available to be awarded through Sports Scholarships.
- Selected by a Sport England recognised National Governing Body (NGB) to represent your chosen sport on an international or national basis (for example, with Great Britain or England), at either senior or junior level, within the last 12 months
- Current first-team player at a professional or elite club
- Ranked individually in the top 10 nationally by a Spot England recognised NGB
- Athlete on a recognised NGB Talent pathway or attending a National Academy
- Coaching or officiating at national level. For example, FA referee levels 1-3 or NGB equivalent.
- Selected for regional representation at senior or junior level within the last 12 months (for example, North England);
- Ranked individually in the top 25 nationally by a Sport England recognised National Governing Body (NGB)
- Sports administration at national or regional level (for example, NGB, Sportscoach UK or Sport England)
- Coaching or officiating at regional level. For example, FA referee levels 4-5 or NGB equivalent.
- County representation at senior or junior level within the last 12 months (for example, Lancashire)
- Current professional club academy or age group player (for example, Under 21s)
- The ability to make a significant contribution to increasing participation in sport at Edge Hill University
- An outstanding contribution to community sport in coaching, officiating or administration.
Conversion degree (top-up) students, Erasmus students, repeat year students and permanent employees of Edge Hill University are not eligible to apply for a Sports Scholarship.
A successful application for a Sports Scholarship will make you ineligible to receive an Excellence Scholarship. You are welcome to apply for the two awards, however, and if both applications are successful, you will be able to choose which scholarship you would prefer to receive.
Please note, it is not possible to receive multiple scholarships in recognition of the same achievement, or to be awarded a Sports Scholarship as a current student if you were awarded one as a prospective student.
Discover more about the achievements and endeavours of recent Sports scholars with our case studies of a selection of previous winners.
To be considered for a Sports Scholarship, you need to complete and submit our Sports Scholarship application form.
A selection panel will judge all applications received. The level of Sports Scholarship (Gold, Silver or Bronze) awarded to successful applicants will be determined by the selection panel.
If you are awarded a Sports Scholarship, you will be expected to play a significant role in raising the standard of performance of the student sports teams and must be fully committed to training and competing for the University in British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) events wherever possible.
If you have any queries about Sports Scholarships, you can get in touch with us at [email protected] and we will be happy to assist you.