- Robe Collection
- Registration and Ticket Collection
- Take Your Seat
- The Ceremony
Graduation represents the culmination of your hard work during your time studying at Edge Hill University. It’s a chance to celebrate your achievements and reflect with pride on reaching a significant personal milestone.
These pages guide you through the general itinerary of graduation day:
- Robe collection;
- Registration and ticket collection (at least 45 minutes prior to your ceremony);
- Take your seat in the theatre (at least 30 minutes prior to your ceremony);
- The ceremony;
- Refreshments to toast your success!
If you have any queries about your graduation day, please contact the Assessment and Awards Team on 01695 657390 or email email@example.com.
The first thing you need to do on campus is collect your robe and mortar board. Staff from Wippells will be in the Business School ready to assist you and have your pre-ordered robe ready to collect. Academic dress rooms will be open from 2 hours 30 minutes prior to the start of your ceremony.
You are permitted to keep your robes to attend your ceremony and take photographs. Your robes should be returned to the Business School no later than one hour after the end of the last ceremony on your graduation day.
Registration and Ticket Collection
On the day of your ceremony, please report to the Faculty of Education to register and collect your ticket and any guest tickets.
Registration points open two hours before the start of each ceremony and close 45 minutes before the scheduled ceremony start time. You must register within this timeframe in order to attend your ceremony.
Tempest Photographers provide the official photography service at all Edge Hill University graduation ceremonies. Photography studios are situated in rooms E16-E20 in the Faculty of Education and will open 2 hours 30 minutes before your ceremony commences.
Studios will close 30 minutes prior to the start of your ceremony to enable graduands to be seated. Don’t worry if you don’t have time to have your photograph taken prior to your ceremony getting underway. The studios will be open until one hour after the last ceremony has finished on each day.
Although you do not need to choose your photo package in advance, you can view the options available at www.tempest-graduations.co.uk. Tempest staff will be on hand on the day to answer any queries you may have in relation to photography.
Use of Images and Video Footage
While you will attend the Tempest photography studios for your official graduation photo, you should also be aware that the ceremonies are photographed and filmed by the University.
Photography and video footage, including a live stream, will be captured on the day for use on the University website and You Tube and in other media/publications. Ceremony films are archived securely and indefinitely for future reference.
All graduands and guests should be aware that they may feature in ceremony footage. By registering to take part in your graduation ceremony and accepting guest tickets, you are giving permission for your image and that of your guests to be photographed and recorded for these purposes.
Take Your Seat
Graduation takes place in lecture theatre H1 in the Faculty of Health and Social Care. Graduands and their guests must be in the theatre at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the ceremony.
Upon arrival, you will be guided to your allocated seat. All graduands must sit together in a designated area of the theatre, where you will be sat in alphabetical order with students registered on similar programmes to yourself.
You must sit in the specific seat that has been reserved for you. This means that it is not possible to sit with your guests.
Prior to the start of each ceremony, an usher will demonstrate exactly what you need to do and the path you should follow during the formal presentation of your award.
If you arrive at the theatre late, you will not be permitted to attend your ceremony and will graduate ‘in absentia’ unless there are compelling exceptional circumstances.
Ushers will be on hand to guide and direct you throughout your graduation ceremony. The itinerary for each ceremony will be as follows:
- Academic Procession and Opening Address – when a ceremony is about to begin, everyone will be asked to stand. There will be a fanfare of trumpets and the ceremony will formally open with the entrance of the Academic Procession. There will then be an opening address and, at some ceremonies, there may be the presentation of an honorary award;
- Presentation – shortly before your presentation, ushers will indicate for you to stand and guide you to line up with other graduands. You must carry your ticket with you. While you are waiting in line, show your ticket to the Lead Usher who will confirm you are in the correct place in the procession. Retain your ticket and when the Lead Usher indicates for you to do so, walk all the way to the edge of the red carpet and wait. The title of your award, for example BA (Hons) English, will be announced but not your degree classification. Once the Dean of Faculty reads out your name, you should walk across the red carpet to the Presiding Officer who will greet you and shake your hand. You should then continue along the red carpet and return to your seat, via the route demonstrated prior to the start of the ceremony;
- Conferment of Awards – once all candidates have been presented, ushers will indicate for graduands to stand and the Presiding Officer will confer all awards. Please note, you will not receive your certificate during the ceremony. The certificate will be sent to your permanent home address within two months of your graduation date;
- Formal Procession – after a speech from the Presiding Officer and a short musical interlude, the ceremony will be brought to a formal close. Ushers will guide all graduates to leave the theatre in a formal procession.
Each ceremony lasts approximately one hour. The exact length will vary depending upon, for example, the number of graduands and whether an honorary award is being conferred. All graduands and their guests are expected to remain in the theatre for the duration of the ceremony and should only leave if absolutely necessary or in the event of an emergency.
Please note: 30 minutes prior to the ceremony starting, ushers commence their checks to ensure all graduands are seated correctly. From this point, if you leave the theatre for any reason you will not be allowed to re-enter.
Guests are permitted to take photographs during the ceremony but they must not use a flash or leave their seat.
The ceremony will be broadcast live on the Edge Hill University website and will also be screened live in lecture theatre E1 in the Faculty of Education. Seats for the screening of each ceremony are filled on a first come, first served basis until capacity is reached.
Complimentary refreshments will be served in the Hub after each ceremony.
Details of other catering outlets that will be open to purchase food or drink on campus during graduation days are available on the Food at Edge Hill website.