- Registration and Ticket Collection
- Robe Collection
- Take Your Seat
- The Ceremony
Graduation represents the culmination of your hard work during your time studying at Edge Hill University. It’s a chance to celebrate your achievements and reflect with pride on reaching a significant personal milestone.
These pages guide you through the general itinerary of graduation day:
- Registration and ticket collection (at least one hour prior to your ceremony);
- Robe collection;
- Taking your seat in the theatre (at least 30 minutes prior to your ceremony);
- Your ceremony;
- Refreshments to toast your success!
If you have any queries about your graduation day, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration and Ticket Collection
The first thing you need to do on campus is report to the Sports Centre to register and collect your ticket and any guest tickets.
Registration points open three hours before the start of each ceremony and close one hour before the scheduled ceremony start time. You must register within this timeframe in order to attend your ceremony.
Once you have registered you need to collect your robe and mortar board. Staff from Wippells will be in the Sports Centre ready to assist you and have your pre-ordered robe ready to collect. Academic dress collection will be open from three hours prior to the start of your ceremony.
You are permitted to keep your robes to attend your ceremony and take photographs. Your robes should be returned to the robe return point in The Hub no later than one and a half hours after your ceremony.
Tempest Photographers provide the official photography service at all Edge Hill University graduation ceremonies. Photography studios are situated in the Wilson Centre Gym (WC 0.10) and will open 2 hours 30 minutes before your ceremony commences.
The photography studios operate a booking system and you will need to book your photography slot in advance. You can book at www.edgehill.ac.uk/tempest.
It is important not to book a photography slot within one hour of your ceremony start time as you will not arrive in the theatre before the doors close and will miss your ceremony.
We also advise that you do not book a photography slot within 30 minutes after your ceremony ending to allow time to exit the theatre and be reunited with your guests. Ceremonies will last 45 minutes.
Tempest staff will be on hand on the day to answer any queries you may have in relation to photography.
Use of Images and Video Footage
While you will attend the Tempest photography studios for your official graduation photo, you should also be aware that the ceremonies are photographed and filmed by the University.
Photography and video footage, including a live stream, will be captured on the day for use on the University website and You Tube and in other media/publications. Ceremony films are archived securely and indefinitely for future reference.
All graduands and guests should be aware that they may feature in ceremony footage. By registering to take part in your graduation ceremony and accepting guest tickets, you are giving permission for your image and that of your guests to be photographed and recorded for these purposes.
Take Your Seat
Graduation takes place in lecture theatre H1 in the Faculty of Health, Social Care and Medicine. Graduands and their guests must be in the theatre at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the ceremony.
Upon arrival, you will be guided to your allocated seat. All graduands must sit together in a designated area of the theatre, where you will be sat in alphabetical order with students registered on similar programmes to yourself.
You must sit in the specific seat that has been reserved for you. This means that it is not possible to sit with your guests.
Prior to the start of each ceremony, an usher will demonstrate exactly what you need to do and the path you should follow during the formal presentation of your award.
If you arrive at the theatre late, you will not be permitted to attend your ceremony and will graduate ‘in absentia’ unless there are compelling exceptional circumstances.
Ushers will be on hand to guide and direct you throughout your graduation ceremony. The itinerary for each ceremony will be as follows:
- Academic Procession and Opening Address – when a ceremony is about to begin, everyone will be asked to stand. There will be a fanfare of trumpets and the ceremony will formally open with the entrance of the Academic Procession. There will then be an opening address and, at some ceremonies, there may be the presentation of an honorary award;
- Presentation – shortly before your presentation, ushers will indicate for you to stand and guide you to line up with other graduands. You must carry your ticket with you. While you are waiting in line, show your ticket to the Lead Usher who will confirm you are in the correct place in the procession. Retain your ticket and when the Lead Usher indicates for you to do so, walk all the way to the edge of the red carpet and wait. The title of your award, for example BA (Hons) English, will be announced but not your degree classification. Once the presenter reads out your name, you should walk across the red carpet to the Presiding Officer who will greet you and shake your hand. You should then continue along the red carpet and return to your seat, via the route demonstrated prior to the start of the ceremony;
- Conferment of Awards – once all candidates have been presented, ushers will indicate for graduands to stand and the Presiding Officer will confer all awards. Please note, you will not receive your certificate during the ceremony. The certificate will be sent to your permanent home address within two months of your graduation date;
- Formal Procession – after a speech from the Presiding Officer and a short musical interlude, the ceremony will be brought to a formal close. Ushers will guide all graduates to leave the theatre in a formal procession.
Each ceremony lasts approximately 45 minutes. The exact length will vary depending upon, for example, the number of graduands and whether an honorary award is being conferred. All graduands and their guests are expected to remain in the theatre for the duration of the ceremony and should only leave if absolutely necessary or in the event of an emergency.
Please note: 30 minutes prior to the ceremony starting, ushers commence their checks to ensure all graduands are seated correctly. From this point, if you leave the theatre for any reason you will not be allowed to re-enter.
Guests are permitted to take photographs during the ceremony but they must not use a flash or leave their seat.
The ceremony will be broadcast live on the Edge Hill University website.
Complimentary picnic hampers can be collected from the lawn in front of the Main Building after each ceremony.