The Pre-sessional English Language Course is for those wishing to progress to further academic study at Edge Hill University on either undergraduate or postgraduate courses (taught or research). Edge Hill offers the following Pre-sessional course:
- 6 week course
This course is the ideal programme of study for you if you need to improve your academic skills, focus on your target discipline area and raise your overall English language level.
If you have an IELTS score (overall or in any sub-skill) which is half a band lower than the required entry level for your degree, you can join the 6 week course in summer 2019.
The aims of the Pre-sessional course are:
- to familiarize you with the expectations of academic study in higher education in the UK;
- to improve your academic skills in writing, reading, listening and speaking;
- to provide a full orientation to the learning facilities at Edge Hill;
- to familiarize you with life on campus;
- to increase your confidence for entry on to your academic course;
- to increase your overall communicative confidence in English
Assessment will be through a combination of assignments, tests and coursework.
Successful completion of a Pre-sessional course allows you to progress on to your chosen degree at Edge Hill.
For more information about the Pre-sessional course, click on the Course Description.
Free on campus activities
- Thanksgiving/ Autumn meal
- Lunar new year celebrations
- Christmas meal
- Diversity Day
- Farewell event
- Easter meal
Free off campus activities
Students may also have the option of participating in trips arranged by the International Office. These trips are free but you may need money for lunches or things you wish to buy. The International Office arranges visits to places of interest such as:
- A guided tour of Ormskirk
- Tour of Liverpool
- Trip to Conwy
- Trip to the Lake District
- Trip to Chester
- Manchester Christmas Market
- Trafford Centre in Manchester
Course Duration and Dates
To start your further academic programme in September 2019, you would complete our 6 week course in the summer of 2019:
27 Jul – 4 Sep 2020
Please note that teaching will not take place on the following date as this is a public holiday:
Monday 31st August 2020
6 – 16 (maximum) students
Please see the Course Fees section for the weekly tuition fee. This fee is for tuition only. Accommodation is available on request. Please contact the International Office on International@edgehill.ac.uk for more information.
To join the Pre-sessional you will need to have an IELTS score which is half a band lower than your stated English language entry requirements for your main course (overall or in one or two elements).
Please note that all applicants must be over the age of 18 years.