We have developed some useful guidance to support you with your online assessments.
Pre-assessment guidance and checklist
Launch our online interactive learning package for online assessments.
Avoid common technical problems by following this check list the week before your first assessment:
- Install Chrome or Firefox onto your PC or laptop. Our systems work best on these web browsers.
- Read the guide for the assessments you will be taking so you know what to expect.
- Make sure you have access to the software you will need, including Microsoft Word or another text editor. Remember that you have access to Office 365 or can download the software
- Log into Blackboard on the device you will be using to check your access.
- Update your alternative email so you can reset your password yourself if you need to.
We do not recommend trying to complete assessments using a tablet or phone. If you are in this situation, or experience problems with any of the above, please get in touch with the Catalyst Helpdesk via email or live chat.
Turnitin is an assignment submission tool, and your tutors will set up submission drop boxes in your Blackboard courses.
For returning students, Turnitin will be different to previous years, please consult the guides below so that you are up to date with the new version.
Information and guidance
- When submitting work to Turnitin, use a Chrome or Firefox browser
- Always check the supported file types
- There is a 100mb file size limit for uploads for both the current and new versions
- Ensure you click submit at the end of the process
- You can download a submission receipt from the submission box
- Always read your tutor instructions carefully to understand the requirements
Panopto is used to record video content and lectures, but can also be set up for you to submit audio-visual content for an assessment. These will also be accessed through your courses in Blackboard.
There are two ways this can be set up, this guide covers how to submit depending on the method used:
The video demonstrates the Panopto video assignment submission.
Blackboard assignment submission
If your tutor has chosen to use the Blackboard assignment submission tool, then further information can be found on the Blackboard assignment help pages.
The Blackboard Assignment tool allows students to submit multiple documents at a time but doesn’t necessarily check for similarity or originality as Turnitin does.
Multiple choice questions and tests
There are many ways that tests or MCQs (Multiple Choice Questions) can be setup in an online module or course area. For help in using the Blackboard test tool, please find this on the Blackboard tests and surveys help pages
This guide runs through how a timed Blackboard online test will look, and gives tips on working through the screens. The exact requirements and timings for the test may vary so you should always read instructions carefully. It is strongly advised that you use a desktop computer to complete a test, as mobile devices can often experience a disrupted connection.