Skip Navigation

Careers support for International students

Welcome to the UK and Edge Hill University

As an Edge Hill International student, you have access to all the services of Careers. Use our help by subject and help by year pages to explore what support is available.

If you are unclear about whether you are entitled to work in the UK whilst you are studying at Edge Hill, you should contact our International Office for advice.

You will need to be issued with a National Insurance Number before you can start work. Working or volunteering part-time is a good way of developing your skills and contributing to the community.

Book an appointment for help with searching for opportunities

Working part-time

International students often plan to work in the UK during their studies, however, there are some rules and regulations about whether you are eligible to work.

Before you begin to look for paid or voluntary work, we advise you to check your eligibility with the Centre for International Education

Benefits of working part-time

Graduate employers value work experience gained whilst studying, and a part-time or vacation job can give you the opportunity to:

  • discover what it is like to work in the UK
  • gain valuable work experience
  • develop new skills and improve existing ones such as language skills
  • meet new people and make new friends.

Finding part-time work

For help in finding work please check our Careers Vacancy Portal and visit the part-time jobs section of this website.  Alternatively, book an appointment with our Employment Adviser.

Careers can help you with your job search and applications for a job in the UK, however, we cannot advise on visa and immigration issues.  Take a look at our part-time jobs section which contains useful information on CV writing and applying for part-time jobs.

Writing a UK CV

Many international students will have an existing CV (curriculum vitae) that works very well for them in their home country. However, many of these CVs are in the style of a résumé and this is very different from the CV that is required by a UK employer.

Main features of a UK CV

  • A CV is used when applying for a specific job with a specific employer.
  • It is primarily a marketing document to show an employer how your skills, abilities and experience allow you to do the job you are applying for.
  • It should be two pages long (this is the maximum length).
  • It should be tailored to each and every job you apply for by focusing on how well your skills, abilities and experience match that job.
More information on writing a CV

Working after graduation

If you would like to work in the UK after your studies it is important that you check the visa regulations. You will need to apply for job opportunities in your final year and also research opportunities in your home country.

The Careers team can help you with your job search and job applications in the UK, however we cannot advise on visa and immigration issues or provide a list of recommended companies who recruit international graduates.

Sources of further information

UK visa and immigration
Targetjobs information
Tier 2 Register of Sponsors
UK Council for International Student Affairs
Tier 5 Government Authorised Exchange Visa

Returning home after graduating

Many international students will choose to return home after graduating from their studies in the UK. There may be differences between the graduate recruitment system in your home country and the UK, so you will need to familiarise yourself with the application process,  and the methods and timing of graduate recruitment.

Sources of further information

UK Council for International Student Affairs
GradLink Gulf