LinkedIn is the largest professional networking site with over 610 million members worldwide. We recommend all students create a profile to help them start networking with employers during their studies.
Watch this video for an overview of how to create an effective profile:
Creating your profile
Follow our step-by-step guide to help you create an effective LinkedIn profile.
- Name and headline: Use the opportunity to explain who you are. In a sentence explain your current situation as well as what you are looking for.
- Photo: Your photo should create a professional impression, whilst your background image can add some personality and individuality to your profile.
- You can personalise your LinkedIn web address to make your profile more professional.
- The summary (or about) section should be approximately 150 words outlining your career goals and interests, key relevant experience and achievements.
- Experience: List all relevant paid and unpaid experiences within this section, including job title and employer/volunteer organisation. Provide descriptions for each role with a focus on achievements and outcomes.
- Education: List the details of your qualifications including the course title and full name of the university and also your college/school. You should provide details of key modules from your degree, results from past assessments and any predicted grades. Providing more detail in this section will better inform prospective employers of the knowledge and skills you have gained throughout your studies.