Dream of seeing your work in print, online or on stage? Our practice-led courses taught by professional writers at Edge Hill will help make this a reality. With modules like scriptwriting, fiction, poetry and games writing, as well as placements and work projects with organisations like Edge Hill University Press or Crooked Dice Game Design Studio, you’ll soon find your niche.
Explore the world through writing. Develop your own voice in whatever discipline fits you best, whether that’s poetry, short stories, scriptwriting or writing for games. Join a vibrant community of writers who share your curiosity. Here at Edge Hill, we have 30 years’ experience in evolving and developing our Creative Writing practice and encouraging our students to become innovative writers who understand the literary landscape they can contribute to.
Our lecturers are all published writers who know what it takes to succeed in the industry. Throughout your degree, we’ll help you find your passion in writing and develop the skills you need for your future career, whether that’s as a writer, in the creative industries, for example the media, theatre or publishing, or in areas such as teaching and business.
You’ll develop the habits and techniques you need to become a versatile, engaging and self-reflective writer. And with literary events, Creative Industry symposia, the annual Edge Hill Short Story Prize and our work with the Edge Hill University Press, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to put your skills to the test.
- Don’t just learn to write, learn to be a writer. With employability embedded throughout the course, we’ll show you how you can make a valuable contribution to the world of literature.
- Progress through your degree by learning about different writing styles, developing professional habits (from keeping journals to editing), practising your art and, in your final year, specialising in a genre you’re passionate about.
- Our lecturers are published writers – they’ll teach you both writing theory and practice-led skills you need for your career. And with our workshop model of teaching, you’ll have lots of individual support throughout the course.
|Course Name||Qualification||UCAS Code|
|Creative Writing||BA (Hons)||W800|
|Creative Writing and English Literature||BA (Hons)||QW38|
You may also be interested in:
|Course Name||Qualification||UCAS Code|
|English Language with Creative Writing||BA (Hons)||Q1W8|
|English Literature with Creative Writing||BA (Hons)||Q2W9|
This degree has taught me so much and set me on a path which I’d never expected to follow.
BA (Hons) Creative Writing
Creative Writing in the News
- Creative writing students at Edge Hill design and produce their own tabletop game
- An unexpected virtual event
- Alumna lands dream job at publishing company
- Tabletop games rise in popularity during pandemic
- Creative writer who transformed grief into poetry graduates and starts new life as a father
- NHS staff encouraged to share pandemic experiences through creative writing
- Edge Hill writer wins the 2020 NorthBound Book Prize
- Edge Hill alumna Carys Bray releases new book
- Creative Writing student’s audio poem commended in national competition
- Creative Care project launched to provide solace to care home residents
The Department of English, History and Creative Writing is based in the Main Building at the centre of the campus, near the £26m Catalyst building which includes the University library.
A prime example of 1930s architecture, the Main Building has undergone extensive refurbishment to combine a traditional setting with modern facilities, including the £15m Student Hub.
The building includes lecture theatres, seminar and tutorial rooms, which are ideal for group discussions and one-to-one tuition, as well as IT resources and social learning spaces.
Main Building 360 Virtual Tour
Open Days and Virtual Events
Alternatively, our virtual open day pages offer the chance to discover everything that Edge Hill University has to offer and find out more about any subjects of interest, including creative writing, through a series of online activities.View our virtual open day pages