Immersing you in the art of writing fiction, non-fiction, poetry, scripts and narrative games, our Creative Writing degrees enable you to find your creative voice, develop a flair for independent expression and construct your own fictional worlds.
You will gain the skills required to be a versatile, engaging and self-reflective writer, as well as an attuned reader and critical thinker.
Taught by a world-class community of writers, Creative Writing can be studied as a Single Honours degree or in combination with Drama, English Literature or Film Studies.
Creative Writing in the News
- Tabletop games rise in popularity during pandemic
- Creative writer who transformed grief into poetry graduates and starts new life as a father
- NHS staff encouraged to share pandemic experiences through creative writing
- Edge Hill writer wins the 2020 NorthBound Book Prize
- Edge Hill alumna Carys Bray releases new book
- All-female longlist announced for unique short story prize
- Creative Writing student’s audio poem commended in national competition
- Creative Care project launched to provide solace to care home residents
The Department of English, History and Creative Writing is based in the Main Building at the centre of the campus, near the £26m Catalyst building which includes the University library.
A prime example of 1930s architecture, the Main Building has undergone extensive refurbishment to combine a traditional setting with modern facilities, including the £15m Student Hub.
The building includes lecture theatres, seminar and tutorial rooms, which are ideal for group discussions and one-to-one tuition, as well as IT resources and social learning spaces.
Main Building 360 Virtual Tour
Open Days and Virtual Events
If you are considering studying at Edge Hill University, the best way we usually recommend to gain an insight into the student experience is to see our stunning campus for yourself by attending an open day.
Our August 2020 open day is going virtual. We will ensure that you can still discover everything that Edge Hill University has to offer and get answers to all of your questions. You will be able to find out more about creative writing and the University through a series of online activities.
We are continuing to take bookings for subsequent open days while monitoring government advice regarding events. We will communicate all key information to anyone who books to attend.Join our virtual open day