How to Report a Repair
Do you need to report a fault or issue around Campus?
Click on ‘FM MyJobs’ to the right >
The Facilities Management Team within Edge Hill University have a number of objectives regarding repairs which are;
- Maintain University buildings and assets in good order
- Maintain a safe environment and ensure that danger to persons and damage to property is minimised through accurate reporting and response
- Provide a repairs service which meets the needs of the University’s Students and Stakeholders
- Carry out all repairs within agreed response times
What happens when I report a problem?
When you contact us, we will categorise your reported work as either ‘reactive’ or ‘planned’ maintenance. The difference between these are highlighted below.
Reactive repairs or day to day repairs are defined as those repairs which are carried out on a responsive basis as the need arises and are not deferred for inclusion in planned maintenance programmes.
Report a Repair [PDF]
This includes often minor unplanned short-term repairs which are classified by urgency. Examples of ‘Reactive’ tasks include;
- Fixing or replacing broken items
- Heating adjustments
- Fixing leaks and removing blockages
- Specialist cleaning requests
Help with logging a job can be found in our FM MyJobs user guide.
Works which require investment outside of reactive day to day operations are usually described as planned. These are scheduled types of work which include:
- Heating/cooling system servicing
- Fire system safety checks
- Re-decoration & improvement
- Electrical rewiring
If you do report works to us which fall into a category of planned maintenance, we will be able to advise you of a likely timescale for this work to be completed according to our published 5 year schedule of planned maintenance.
For any queries please contact FM Reception:
01695 58 (4455)
- P1 - Emergency
- P2 - Health and Safety
- P3 - Fault or Failure
- P4 - General Repair
- P5 - Minor Effect
- P6 - Staff Only - Specific Date and Times Required
P1 - Emergency
24 hours, 7 days a week – All emergencies MUST be phoned through to FM Helpdesk 01695 584455
Emergency repairs are required when there is a risk to life, a real threat of serious injury or damage to property When we attend an emergency repair we will make the situation safe within 4 hours a further visit maybe required for any additional work that is needed, wherever possible within 24 hours subject to parts availability.
- Faults on Fire systems
- Gas leaks
- Lift entrapment
- Major water bursts
- Faulty or insecure automatic doors, which cause a serious security breech.
- Broken glass which may cause injury or harm.
- Gritting when temperatures are forecast to fall below 0 degrees and gritting company have not responded.
P2 - Health and Safety
Items within this repair category are those which are a serious Health and Safety Risk or will cause further damage, therefore, preventing the repair from becoming an emergency or lead to further deterioration of the building if the problem persists. These urgent repairs will be made safe or completed within 1 working day and if parts are required then we will arrange a further visit to complete the works normally on a P4 rating.
- Blocked toilet pans (where no alternatives available)
- Complete loss of lighting to stairways and landings
- Flickering lights
- Major plumbing leaks and bursts, where water cannot be contained
- Major Roof leakage, where water cannot be contained
- Complete building failure of essential services for electricity, water or heating
- Rodents or pests inside buildings
P3 - Fault or Failure
These are generally defects that can be undertaken without causing any serious long-term deterioration to the building or discomfort / nuisance to the student / staff or third parties. These will be completed within 2 working days from the defect report date and if parts are required then we will undertake a further visit to complete the work that are needed.
- Sanitary – faulty – drains, sinks, urinals, shower – leaking tap
- Air conditioning not working, too hot / cold / noisy
- Local heating problems
- Local loss of lighting to bedrooms, stairways and landings (partial)
- Faulty external lighting unless the problem extends to full circuits being affected and pose a health and safety issue, then P2.
- Pest control which is prejudicial to H&S (Rodents)
- Internal cleaning bin overflowing, removal of broken glass
- Loose or detached banister or handrails
- Doors or windows not opening or closing or faulty hinges and handles
- Electrical appliances not working in accommodation – oven, cooker, fridge, freezer
- Electrical sockets not working, (medical fridge electrical socket provision should be escalated by contacting the FM Helpdesk)
- Unsafe stair treads
- Replacing toilet seats
- Rodents or pests outside of building areas
P4 - General Repair
These repairs are usually larger content internal work they can also be external works; and are not considered to be urgent enough to fall into the other three priority timescales as outlined and may require a pre-inspection. This work will be completed within 10 working days from the defect report date and if additional or non-stock parts are required then we will undertake a further visit to complete the works once the parts have arrived.
- Replacing baths, wash basin, kitchen sinks, toilet pans and cisterns.
- Repairs to mechanical extractor fan
- Door entry repairs
- TV aerial / reception
- Repairs to external walls, path and fences
- Plaster repairs
- Repairing of gutters and downpipes
- Repair to flooring that is not a health and safety issue
- Replacement of skirting boards
- Repair to doors
- Minor plumbing repairs
- Minor joinery repairs
P5 - Minor Effect
These are repairs that are considered not to have an impact on the building structure or the comfort of the student / staff or third parties. This work will be completed within 20 working days from the defect report date and if additional or non-stock parts are required then we will undertake a further visit to complete the works once the parts have arrived.
- Repair to plaster of walls
- Additional lighting
- Internal or external cleaning – carpets, windows
- Minor furniture repairs
- Patch paint after repair or leak (Allowing for area to dry out)
- Key cutting
- Signage replacement or repair
- Power washing
- Graffiti removal
- New shelves
- Coat hooks
P6 - Staff Only - Specific Date and Times Required
- Room Set-ups