Skip Navigation

Your visa responsibilities

What you need to do

  • Keep your contact details with the University up-to-date, including your address, phone number and email address. This includes both your term time and home addresses
  • Providing the University with a copy of your passport and visa, and updating this in case of renewal or extension
  • Attending all contact points including: classes, lectures, seminars and reply to all emails sent to you by the Compliance and Immigration Manager
  • Seek visa advice in timely manner from the Compliance and Immigration Manager if required
  • Ensuring that you leave the UK, or apply to extend your stay, before the expiry date of your current visa
  • Register with the police, if required to do so
  • Ensuring that you apply for a new Academic Technology Approval Scheme certificate each time you make changes to your studies if applicable

What Edge Hill University has to do

As your Sponsor, Edge Hill University has certain responsibilities, referred to as sponsor duties, for Student Visas and all visa-controlled students.

Recording duties

For all visa-controlled students at the University, we must keep a record of:

  • Your current address, email and telephone number
  • Your current visa and passport
  • For Student Visas: your engagement with your course via classes, lecturers, seminars or other activities.

Reporting duties

For those on a Student Visa, the University is required to report the following to the UKVI (Home Office):

  • If you fail to enrol with the University by the latest enrolment date specified on your CAS.
  • If you change your programme of study with Edge Hill University. Under some circumstances you may not be able to change programme or this may require a new  visa application. Please contact the International Office if you wish to change your programme of study.
  • If you do not fully engage with your studies. The University must report this and withdraw your sponsorship.
  • If you withdraw or are withdrawn from your programme of studies. If you are withdrawn you will be given five working days to appeal this decision. If you do appeal this will not be reported until a decision has been made on the appeal.
  • If you change the location of your programme. Edge Hill University only has one campus which those on a Student Visa can study on and therefore this only applies if you are on a placement.


Edge Hill University is required to monitor all those on a Student Visa to ensure that they are engaging with their programme of studies.

We expect you to attend all of your classes, lectures and seminars each week and we expect all students to live within commutable distance from Edge Hill University.

It is your responsibility to inform your academic department and the International Office if you are unable to attend due to illness or other unexpected circumstances.

Taught students

Each Faculty has an Engagement policy that you will need to follow. The Faculty will contact the Compliance and Immigration Manager if they have any concerns.

Research (including Masters dissertation)

Your supervisory tutor will contact the Graduate School and the Compliance and Immigration Manager if they have any concerns with your engagement with your research.