Thank you for your application to study at Edge Hill University. We are committed to making your journey as smooth as possible. This page will show you how we work, what you can expect from us, and what we need from you.
International applications to the university are considered in 2 separate stages:
Stage 1 – Admissions
Here your application will be considered in terms of academic requirements for the course you have applied for. The Admissions Team will consider your application and check that you are able to meet the entry requirements for international students on your chosen programme.
Stage 2 – Confirmation of Acceptance to Study (CAS)
If you require a visa to enter the UK your application will also be processed through our compliance team. Here your application will be considered in terms of UKVI requirements relating to visa sponsorship.
Stage 1: Admissions
Applications to study at Edge Hill University are initially considered by the Admissions Team. Your application will be reviewed based on your qualifications and your personal statement. Successful applicants must:
- meet the entry criteria for their chosen programme
- show a good understanding of their chosen subject area
- show a good understanding of their chosen country
Receiving an initial offer
If you have received an initial offer from us, this means that we have looked at the qualifications listed on your application and feel you would make a good candidate for the programme you have applied for. You will receive an email containing a link that allows you to indicate whether you would like us to make you a formal offer for this course.
Once you have confirmed this, we will then need to make several checks. For this we will require a number of documents including:
- official certificates and transcripts of the qualifications listed on your application form including English Language
- copy of your passport
- a satisfactory reference
If you have not included these as part of your application, you will need to send them to us via email: [email protected].
Things we will need to check
- That the qualifications you hold (or are currently studying for) match those listed on your application and meet the comparability level for the course you have applied for
- That you hold or are able to obtain a suitable English Language Qualification or SELT
- That you have provided or are able to provide a satisfactory reference
- That the name and date of birth on your qualifications match that of your Passport /formal ID (if not, you may need to provide additional evidence such as marriage certificate or affidavit)
- The authenticity of any documents you have supplied
If you need to send us additional documents, we ask that you take the following into consideration:
- Please include your student ID number when sending us any documents.
- We ask that you send a clear colour scan or photograph of the documents.
- The documents should be clearly named as to the contents, e.g., degree certificate, degree transcript, passport, reference or English Language.
In line with Edge Hill University Admissions Policy, references should meet the following criteria:
- If you are currently studying or have completed study in the past five years, references should be from an academic source
- If it has been more than five years since you last studied, then a character reference from your employer or other professional will be considered
- References should be received either directly from your referee using a professional email account or on letter head paper.
- Referees should know you well enough to comment on your ability to study your chosen course.
We will not accept references sent from non-professional accounts such as Hotmail, iCloud or Google, or from relatives/ friends. Statements that only show dates of study or employment are not sufficient.
Meeting English Language requirements
As an international student applying to study in the UK, you are required to demonstrate a good level of proficiency in English Language before we can consider offering you sponsorship.
There are several ways in which you can demonstrate your English Language proficiency. Please see our English Language webpage for more details.
Please be aware that some courses will require a different level of English Language. This includes teacher training courses, where a qualification that is considered equivalent (by UK ECCTIS) to UK GCSE in English Language will be required.
Fees and Finance
We will send you more information on your fees and any scholarships you have been awarded as part of your official offer email. However, you may find our dedicated International Student Finance Webpages useful. Here you will also find details of how to pay your deposit and tuition fees.
Terms and Conditions
Please be aware that by accepting an offer from Edge Hill University, you are agreeing to both the standard student and applicants’ terms and conditions as well as any UKVI related requirements.
More information on applying for you CAS and visa can be found in stage 2.
If your application is successful, then you will receive a formal offer. This will be either an unconditional or a conditional offer.
Unconditional offers are given when you have met all academic requirements for your chosen course. This relates to the academic considerations only and is separate from any CAS and UKVI requirements.
Conditional offers are given when you still have academic requirements outstanding. You will be given a specific date in your offer email as to when you need to obtain these.
If you are applying for a course that requires clearances to work with children or vulnerable adults, then we will contact you approximately three months prior to the start of your course with information regarding this.
In the meantime, you may find our Disclosure and Barring Service Information pages useful.
DBS and Medical Clearances
Enquiries relating to your application and academic conditions:
Enquiries relating to compliance and Confirmation of Acceptance to Study (CAS):
Arrivals and support whilst on course: