Skip Navigation

English language requirements

There are a number of different ways you may be able to demonstrate your English language level, for example, by your nationality, with a degree taught in a majority English-speaking country or with an approved English language qualification or test. Which of these you may be able to use will depend on the course you are going to be studying and whether or not you will need to apply for a student visa and can meet the UKVI requirements.

Please read the information below carefully to see if you can meet the English language requirements for your course.

Be aware that language needs to be verified from one of the options listed on this webpage. We do not accept letters of proficiency.

Acceptable English language tests

One way you can meet the English language requirement is through an acceptable English language test. Please click the tab that relates to your area of study for more information on the suitable tests and grades required.

Please note that your test certificate must be within its period of validity – for example, the IELTS, Pearson and Trinity ISE SELTs are only valid for two years after the test date.

International Foundation Programme

Undergraduate entry

Postgraduate entry

Other English language qualifications accepted at Edge Hill University

Demonstrating your English language level using a qualification from a ‘majority English-speaking’ country or by nationality

You can demonstrate your English Language level by providing a UK degree (undergraduate or postgraduate) or an academic qualification that is equivalent to a UK degree (this needs to be confirmed by UK NARIC) that was taught in any of the following countries:

Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Malta, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, USA.

You can also demonstrate your English Language level by providing your passport showing you are a national of Canada or any of the countries in the list above.

International baccalaureate

We are happy to accept students who have completed the IB qualification. We will use UCAS Tariff scores to assess a student’s suitability. Subject-specific requirements at Higher Level (HL) Grade 5 may apply. For clarity of entry requirements for the course you’re interested in, please contact the International Office.