The GREAT Scholarships 2023 are jointly funded by Edge Hill University and the British Council support citizens of India and Nigeria to access world-class UK higher education opportunities.
The GREAT scholarship will cover full tuition fees for one-year and a full time programme of study at Edge Hill University for two successful candidates; one from Nigeria and one from India. It will be awarded as a full tuition fee waiver and successful candidates will have their offer letter updated to reflect this.
This is for September 2023 intake only, and scholarships cannot be deferred.
Applications closed at 11:59 pm (GMT) on Thursday 1 June 2023.
- be passport holders of India or Nigeria
- be a self-funded student
- have made an application to study a full-time postgraduate degree at Edge Hill University for September 2023 intake
- hold an offer for a full-time postgraduate degree at Edge Hill University for September 2023 intake by closing date of 1 June 2023
- not be in receipt of any other scholarship, including external scholarships such as Chevening, etc
NOTE: Applications received after the deadline date and applications with no study offer by this deadline WILL NOT be considered for this scholarship. We strongly advise to submit an application to Edge Hill University no later than April 2023 so there is no delay with your student journey should you be successful in your scholarship application.
Applicants for Postgraduate Diplomas are not eligible for this award.
Once you have received your offer to study on a full-time, postgraduate programme at Edge Hill University, you can apply for the British Council GREAT Scholarship by completing this form.
Applications will then be considered by an awarding panel. The panel will consist of representatives from Admissions, the International Office team, and the International Student Support Officer. The panel will assess the applications based on your responses given in the scholarship application. All panel members understand that applicants will have a broad range of differing skills, attributes and experiences, and shortlisted applicants may be asked to attend a video interview with the selection committee. Final award recipients and reserve candidates will be decided by the panel and be contacted no later than 30 June 2023.
The panel are looking for candidates who will benefit the most from this opportunity, rather than the highest achievers, so the quality of your application responses is vital. You should be well-informed about the university and the programme that you have applied for, as well as your future opportunities and the expectations of this opportunity.
When answering the application questions, you should include information around the following:
- Your academic background and achievements (such as academic prizes)
- Your extracurricular activities or voluntary and community experience, particularly those relevant to your chosen course
- What motivates you, any barriers you have experienced to your education and how you have overcome them
- Any other achievements that you feel are relevant to your chosen course
- How your study at Edge Hill University would help your future career plans
- How you would bring an exciting and valuable global perspective to your programme of study
- Your professional experience to date and your career aspirations, including your intentions after graduation
Expectations of scholarship winners
Scholars will be expected to:
- be a citizen of a GREAT target country (India or Nigeria).
- have an undergraduate degree that will enable you to gain entry onto a postgraduate programme at a UK university.
- be active in the field with work experience or with a proven interest in the proposed subject area.
- meet the English language requirement of the UK HEI
- be motivated and academically able to follow and benefit from a UK postgraduate taught course.
- be willing to embody the UK higher education experience by attending lectures and tutorials and engaging with extra-curricular activities, including activities with the International Office
- be willing to act as an ambassador for Edge Hill University and UK higher education by sharing your experiences and promoting the value of studying at a UK university both during your studies and following graduation
- be willing to establish an engagement with the UK as a scholar through personal and academic fulfilment.
- represent the high standards of the GREAT brand by becoming an advocate for scholarships
- be willing to demonstrate future contribution to capacity-building and socio-economic advancement through the benefits achieved after graduating from UK higher education
- as an alumnus of the GREAT Scholarships, willing occasionally to speak to potential candidates about his or her own experience of studying in the UK
- be willing to attend a British Council networking event with other scholars, to discuss and share your experiences
- be willing to maintain contact with the British Council and act as an ambassador for the GREAT Scholarships, by sharing experiences of studying in the UK with future GREAT scholars
- the scholarship winners will be expected to live in university-owned on campus accommodation, except in exceptional circumstances
For more information on the GREAT Scholarships 2023, please visit Study UK.