Edge Hill University encourage departments, wherever possible to offer paid opportunities to students. This helps with their employability by:
- Giving them experience of the recruitment processes
- Gaining them experience of the work place and helping them develop the transferable skills graduate employers ask for
NASES (National Association of Student Employment Services) advise that students should work no more than 16 hours per week, as any additional hours worked may negatively affect their academic and course work. Edge Hill offers student employees, the living wage rather than the national minimum wage, meaning students can work less hours. This reduces stress levels for students and helps them achieve the right study/work/life balance.
For details on how to advertise your roles for students contact:
- HR Helpdesk to enquire whether the job is suitable for students
- Careers and our Employer Engagement team will send you details on how to advertise these
- Consider using the new Student Job Bank run by the Student Experience team
To aid personal development of student employees, departments who employ students (independently from the new Job Bank) are expected to provide students with on-going supervision and opportunities for them to reflect upon the skills learnt in their roles.
At all times, during their study at Edge Hill, student employees can receive help and support from Careers, including:
- Feedback from unsuccessful job applications
- Help with future job applications (graduate/placement/paid work)
- Update CVs and help in identifying transferable skills
- Careers advice and planning
- Vacancy service with graduate, placement, volunteering and paid work
- On-line resources
- Careers fairs and events on campus
- Nominations for Careers Awards and to take part in Extra Edge Certificate (first years)
We would encourage all departments employing students to inform them of the help available.
For further information Staff may email: [email protected]
Students requiring advice should use the Ask a Question service.