This page has been created to give you all the information you need to prepare for your online interview within the Medical School. It is essential that you read all of the sections carefully.
- You should have now received a detailed email from the Admissions Team which contains your interview link and time. If you think you have not received this information, please email the Admissions Team [email protected].
- There will be no requirement for you to attend the University at this time – your online interview will be conducted remotely using Microsoft Teams.
- If you haven’t already done so, you will need to download Microsoft Teams to your chosen device. See ‘Things to do before your online interview’ for more information.
- You need to confirm that you will attend your interview via UCAS Track.
- Your interview will take place in two parts and in a Multiple Mini Interview format (MMI)
- If you are unable to attend your interview, please contact our Admissions Team by emailing [email protected]
- You need to allow 3 hours for the interview process.
It is essential that you:
- have downloaded Microsoft Teams on your chosen device, you should download it and familiarise yourself with it before the day of your online interview. You may wish to blur or change your background during your interview, find out how here.
- have watched a short MMI Candidate Briefing video. Please select the correct video below based on the course you will be interviewing for:
- MBChB Medicine with Foundation Year –
- MBChB Medicine –
- have looked at our Medical School webpage and read more about our Medical students.
- have watched a short MMI Candidate Briefing video.
- completed your Candidate Non-Disclosure Agreement as soon as possible. Please note, that you will be unable to proceed with your interview unless this has been completed and submitted to us.
- have the necessary ID that you will need to have with you at your online interview. See the ‘What to have with you’ section below for further information.
- have all the necessary online joining links, which will have been sent by our Admissions Team along with the date and time of your interview. If you think you have not received this information, please email the Admissions Team [email protected]
Please note, if you experience any problems accessing the Candidate Briefing video or the Non-Disclosure agreement, please contact Carol Chatten, Learning Technology Development Officer by emailing [email protected]
There will be two interviewers per MMI, who will be drawn from academic staff, clinical colleagues and service users. There will be male and female interviewers working together for each round of MMIs.
On the day of your interview, using the links that you will have received from our Admissions Team at your allocated time you will be required to:
- Click the Blackboard Collaborate link labelled ‘Reception Room Interviewees’. You will then find yourself in a virtual waiting room. Please wait here until you are admitted. Once in the ‘Reception Room’ you will be asked to verify that you have completed your Non-Disclosure Agreement, that you have watched the Virtual MMI Candidate Briefing video and that you have your ID with you ready to show your interviewers. It is at this point that you will be able to ask any questions you may have about the interview process. However, if you have any questions about the dress code or have any special requirements please get in touch with us as soon as possible by emailing [email protected]
- You will then log out of the ‘Reception Room’, and up to ten minutes before the time of your interview, click on the second Microsoft Teams link that you have been provided with, and again you will find yourself in a virtual waiting room. Please wait here until you are admitted to your ‘Interview Room’ by the interviewers.
- There will be a total of seven MMI questions, five MMI questions in the first part of your interview, and two questions in the second part. You will have approximately 5 minutes to answer each question. You will be able to think about each question for up to 2 minutes, make notes, and ask for the question to be repeated before you respond.
If you normally have extra time or have any special requirements that you feel would need reasonable adjustments to be made for your interview, please email us as soon as possible. If you are undergoing or awaiting results of a recent assessment of your learning needs, please also email [email protected].
As the interviews will be conducted online, you are welcome to select your choice of clothing to attend the interview. If you usually wear a face covering, you can continue to wear it for the interview. It is important that whether you wear a face covering or not, you communicate clearly and can be understood by the interviewers. If you cannot be heard clearly, interviewers have been asked to repeat the question or ask you to speak more clearly to give you an opportunity to demonstrate your ability to answer the question. If anything is unclear, you should feel able to ask interviewers to repeat or rephrase the question. If you are unable to communicate effectively you will be marked accordingly.
If you would like to discuss the dress code or communications strategy, please email [email protected] and we will be very happy to discuss any concerns you may have.
You will need to have the following to hand on the day:
Please have to hand your original photographic ID (i.e. current valid passport or photo-card driving licence). Your ID will be checked by the Medical School staff interviewer prior to the start of the process. If you do not have suitable ID on the day, you may not be able to take part in the online interview and will have to reschedule for an alternative date.
If you have any questions about your ID please contact our Admissions Team via email to [email protected] prior to your online interview.
During the interview process, we will assess you on a range of attributes and motivations. This could include:
- motivation for wanting to join the MBChB with foundation year programme at Edge Hill University
- motivation for wanting to join the MBChB programme at Edge Hill University
- verbal communication skills
- empathy and compassion
- awareness of current health challenges
- ethical awareness
- awareness of self and others
- prioritisation/decision making
- interpretation of data.
The interviewers will assess your performance for each question, and the results will be collated. We are carrying out interviews until the end of January and therefore you will not receive our decision until all interviews are completed and have been reviewed and ranked.
All offers of a place on the programme are conditional upon the achievement of the appropriate academic qualifications (if you have not already satisfied our academic requirements for entry), completion of health screening, fitness to practice clearance and an enhanced DBS check within the specified timeframes. If you are made an offer for the programme we will contact you with a full list of requirements separately.
We look forward to meeting you for your online interview.
If you have any questions or special requirements that you would like to discuss with us prior to your interview you can contact us in the following ways: