This page has been created to give you all the information you need to prepare for your online interview. It is essential that you read all of the sections carefully.
- There will be no requirement for you to attend the University at this time – your online interview will be conducted remotely using Blackboard Collaborate.
- You should be able to view the date and time of your interview on UCAS Track along with your individual joining link. If you cannot view your joining link, please contact our Admissions Team [email protected]
- You need to confirm that you will attend your interview via UCAS Track.
- The interview has been structured in such a way as to enable you to demonstrate your commitment to becoming a teacher and your enthusiasm for your subject and education more generally. You need to be able to show that you can engage in discussion, contributing both as a speaker and as a listener. You will also be given the opportunity to demonstrate the contribution that you, personally, could make to the programme and, ultimately, to the education of children.
- You can join your online interview on any device – PC, tablet or smartphone, and we would advise using Chrome or Firefox as your browser. Please ensure that your browser is fully up to date.
- If you would prefer to access the session in the Blackboard App please download the app called Blackboard Collaborate TM Mobile, which, using Google Chrome as your browser, you can find in your normal app store.
- If you experience any technical issues, please visit the help page.
- Your online interview link can be accessed 10 minutes before the start of your interview. Please follow the steps below:
- Open the link in your browser
- You will then be able to see the session you are joining and there is a place for you to type your name. Please ensure you type your full name and UCAS ID Number and select ‘Join Session’.
- Each session will be hosted by a member of Edge Hill University staff, they may not be in the online room when you join, however please stay online.
- You can join with your camera and microphone switched off and you will be advised by the member of staff when it is time to switch them on.
It is essential that you:
- have your individual Blackboard Collaborate link. Please contact our Admissions Team [email protected] if you cannot view this on UCAS track.
- dress appropriately. You are not expected to be in formal wear, however you should present yourself as a future professional.
- have read all the information on this preparation page and made a note of the items you need to have with you and any questions that you want to ask during your online interview.
- have thought about, and can explain, why you want to teach pupils in the secondary age range and why you wish to teach your particular subject.
- have familiarised yourself with current educational issues. Useful publications include:
Please read the below information carefully as it outlines the structure of your online interview along with tasks that you need to complete beforehand. Please note, you are required to email your task to [email protected] at least two full working days in advance of your interview, clearly labelled with your Full Name and UCAS ID number.
Prepare a 3 minute video where you explain how you would teach someone about how to use possessive apostrophes.
This this should be in the style of a ‘talking head’ and not a presentation (such as a PowerPoint)’.
You video should be 2-3 minutes long.
How to upload your video
On your phone, computer or tablet, open the Google Drive app on Google Play, the App Store, or website. Click Add then click Upload. Find and click the files you want to upload. You can view uploaded files in My Drive until you move them. Share the file via email.
Create an account if you do not have one already. Sign in to your account on the App or by website and select the upload button. Drag and drop or select the file to upload. Enter description, tags, and privacy information. Share the video to social media. Send the video link via email.
Go to the WeTransfer website. Select your video file to upload. Enter the email address you want to send to and your email address. Enter text description and then press the transfer button to send your video. The file will begin transferring and will say transfer complete when this has been done. You should receive a confirmation email confirming that your video has been received.
You will only have to upload your video to one of these options. There are various online guides and YouTube videos that can advise you on how to upload your video.
During your online interview you will have the opportunity to ask any questions you might have about the course. Then we will have a discussion, centred around eight questions on the following topics:
- Your own interest in and knowledge of English and English Literature
- English as a subject in the curriculum
- Issues connected to secondary practice
- Wider current issues in education
Please have to hand your original photographic ID (i.e. current valid passport or photo-card driving licence). Your ID will be checked prior to the start of the process. If you do not have suitable ID on the day, you may not be able to take part in the online interview and will have to reschedule for an alternative date.
If you have any questions about your ID please contact our Admissions Team via email to [email protected] prior to your online interview.
Original certificates (if already achieved)
There are various documents/items that we will want to see if you are successful in your online interview. We will only request these once you have been made an offer and made us your Firm Choice:
- Your GCSE certificates or Level 2 equivalent qualifications
- A Levels or equivalent (e.g. BTEC, Access etc)
- If you have changed your name since the certificates were issued, please provide evidence of your name change (e.g. marriage certificate, change of name deed poll etc)
Please note: Collection of certificate/qualifications will only be requested if you are successful at your online interview and we will withhold the offer until we have verification of your original certificates.
Throughout the interview process we will be looking for you to demonstrate:
- A commitment to and enthusiasm for working with children
- Strong communication skills
- The personal attributes and values required to train as a teacher
- The ability to reflect on experiences and the learning taken from these
We look forward to meeting you for your online interview.
If you have any questions or special requirements that you would like to discuss with us prior to your interview you can contact us in the following ways: