BA (Hons) Physical Education and School Sport course preparation
To help you feel prepared for your university studies, we’ve gathered together a range of course related activities including suggested reading, useful websites and some great things to do right now. Open the links below to find out more:
Your pre-entry workbook
An important part of preparing to study on the BA (Hons) Physical Education and School Sport programme is the completion of your pre-entry workbook before induction week. You’ll find tasks to complete which relate to each module you’ll study during your first year and have an opportunity to write down any questions you have. These will then be addressed during your Induction Week.
You’ll find out more about Induction Week later this summer.
Detailed reading lists are provided in each module handbook which you will be able to access once you have started your programme. The following core references will enable you to become familiar with the key principles of teaching across the ability and inclusion spectrum:
- ARMOUR, K., 2011. Sport Pedagogy, An Introduction for Teaching and Coaching. Harlow: Pearson Education Limited.
- BAILEY, R., 2011. Physical Education for Learning, London: Continuum International Publishing Group.
- BURNS, T., SINFIELD, S., 2012. Essential Study Skills: The Complete Guide to Success at University. New York: Sage Publications Limited.
- CAPEL, S., and WHITEHEAD, M., 2010. Learning to Teach Physical Education in the Secondary School. London: Routledge.
- CLELAND-DONNELLY, F., MULLER, S.S. and GALLAHUE, D. L. 2017 Developmental Physical Education for All Children Theory into Practice. Illinois. Human Kinetics.
- HAYWOOD, K. M. AND GETCHELL, N. 2014. Lifespan Motor Development. Illinois. Human Kinetics.
- KIRK, D., MACDONALD, D. and O’SULLIVAN, M., 2013. The Handbook of Physical Education. London: Sage.
- LAWRENCE, J. 2012. Teaching Primary Physical Education: London: Sage.
Appropriate kit needs to be worn for the course. You’ll need to bring:
- Waterproof jacket
- Plain white t-shirt/polo shirt
- Navy shorts or tracksuit bottoms as kit must be worn for all practical sessions.
- AstroTurf/multipurpose trainers are required (fashionable footwear is not suitable for practical sessions)
If you want to join a sports team at University clubs and societies webpage.
Visit the following websites to check out PE and School Sports related jobs:
Catch up on the latest sports news
It is important to keep up to date with what is going on in the sports and education industry. Try to think more broadly than simply sports results – how about checking out announcements from the Department for Digital, Media, Culture and Sport, or the Department of Education and see how the latest news might affect PE teachers work.
Things to do over summer
Here are some activities that you can be doing during the next few months to prepare you for the start of the course:
- Try to improve activity-specific subject knowledge
- Update current CV
- Read and familiarise yourself with the suggested texts
Use the drop down boxes for more summer activities.
Search for something that interests you. This might be a day in the life of a PE teacher, working with SEND children, or the health benefits associated with PE and school sports.
Listen to a PE and School Sports podcasts. We would recommend:
Check out the PE National Curriculum, particularly for the age group you are interested in working with, then have a go at designing your own PE session in line with the national curriculum, you can always check out online PE classes that are currently being delivered for inspiration!
Additional ways to prepare
Preparing to start
This session examines how to make a successful transition to university. From planning your results day, accommodation and commuting tips, extra support available to you and general advice on uni life.Watch the session
Find out more about who you are
The following information provides an insight into what to expect when coming to university along with some good advice on how to navigate some of the potential challenges you may face.Start preparing yourself