Biology, food science, psychology – nutrition brings many subjects together to understand the pivotal role food plays in leading a healthy life. In our food skills area and our biosciences labs, you’ll test how certain foods are produced and investigate their properties.
Because our course is accredited by the Association for Nutrition, you can register as an associate nutritionist when you graduate. Complete a placement or join research projects as a student to prepare for jobs with the NHS, in health promotion, the food industry and more.
Can food prevent disease? What nutrients do our organs need? How do we educate people about holistic health and wellbeing? Answer these key questions and more at Edge Hill. Combining biology, food science, sociology and psychology, we’ll help you understand the nutritional needs of society and explore how food plays a pivotal role in living a healthy lifestyle.
In our food skills area, as well as our modern biosciences labs, you’ll test how certain foods are manufactured and produced, investigate the physical properties of food, and conduct sensory evaluations. You’ll learn from a teaching team of registered nutritionists and dieticians who research a range of topics, from pregnancy to endurance running, food science to autism and ADHD.
Our course is accredited by the Association for Nutrition – and this means you’ll be able to register as an associate nutritionist. You’ll be ready for roles within local authorities, the NHS, food industry and health promotion. As a student, you can complete a placement in the food and leisure industry – this might be dietetic shadowing or working in a school. One student worked on campus with the Nutrition Society and won an award for the research project she was part of.
- Learn in our professional food skills area, science lab and Clinical Skills & Simulation Centre. Here you’ll find everything from sphygmomanometers to bariatric and geriatric suits.
- Kickstart your career by applying for direct entry as a registered associate nutritionist with the Association for Nutrition when you finish the course.
- 100% of our Nutrition graduates are in work or further study 15 months after graduating (Graduate Outcomes 2017-18). Completing our career module in final year will help you confidently move from education to the world of work.
|Course Name||Qualification||UCAS Code|
|Nutrition & Health||BSc (Hons)||B400|
I’m fascinated with what we put in our bodies and why. On this course you don’t just study the biochemical aspects of nutrition but the psychosocial aspects as well.
BSc (Hons) Nutrition & Health
Nutrition and Health in the News
- We’re all cereal overeaters – new research looks at which cereals are best for portion control
- Dieticians help Covid-19 patients on the road to recovery
- Nigerian student hopes to make food more nutritious with research career
- Manchester chef turned to study to help understand devastating disease
EHU Insight on The Conversation
A professional food science laboratory and kitchen space enables Nutrition students to undertake a variety of practical work with foods in a purpose-built environment.
This dedicated space and the University’s modern Biosciences laboratories are used to test how certain foods are manufactured and produced, investigate the physical properties of food, and conduct sensory evaluations. You will also have opportunities to participate in enterprise initiatives and research activity using the Nutrition facilities.
Learning resources for Nutrition students include sphygmomanometers (for measuring resting blood pressure to indicate cardio vascular risk), bariatric and geriatric suits to experience physical and mobility restrictions, wrist-based global positioning systems (garmin devices) that measure exercise duration, energy expenditure and heart rate, and actigraphs which estimate exercise intensity and track sleep quality and duration.
Faculty of Health, Social Care and Medicine 360 Virtual Tour
Open Days and Virtual Events
Alternatively, our virtual open day pages offer the chance to discover everything that Edge Hill University has to offer and find out more about any subjects of interest, including nutrition and health, through a series of online activities.