Build on your love of language and literature by exploring English across different cultures, societies and historical periods. With the latest ideas from our expert researchers, and the real-life application on field trips and work-related projects, you’ll discover how you can help solve some of society’s biggest challenges.
Language and literature are powerful forces in the world. At Edge Hill, you’ll be taught by subject experts. You’ll meet visiting speakers and resident writers. And you’ll work alongside creative and curious students who share your passion. It’s easy to see why we’re 1st in the North West for student satisfaction (Complete University Guide, 2022).
Interested in English Language? Explore how language is used and how it is changing through a range of popular topics like forensic linguistics, language, gender and sexuality or historical linguistics.
If you love reading, thinking and debating, an English Literature degree is your chance to build your skills and discuss big ideas. From Shakespeare’s global impact to contemporary children’s literature, examine how authors imagine different worlds.
If you share an equal love of literature and language, then get the best of both worlds on our BA (Hons) English programme.
Career skills are embedded throughout all courses. So, wherever you want to work, whether it’s journalism, publishing or the charity sector, we’ll help you get there.
- Our exciting calendar of events brings the subject to life. Listen to visiting speakers, watch performances and discover the latest research happening at Edge Hill and beyond. We’re 1st in the North West for student satisfaction (Complete University Guide, 2022).
- Visit and even work with external organisations, from the Royal Shakespeare Company to Manchester Crown Court, to see where your skills can be put to use. Past students are working in areas like speech therapy, journalism and publishing. 97.6% of English graduates are in employment or further study 15 months after graduating (Graduate Outcomes 2018/19).
- Our lecturers are experts in their subject, authoring books and articles and speaking at conferences all over the world. It’s no wonder that student votes mean we’re 1st in the North West for satisfaction in our teaching (National Student Survey 2021).
|Course Name||Qualification||UCAS Code|
|Creative Writing and English Literature||BA (Hons)||QW38|
|Education and English||BA (Hons)||QX13|
|English Language||BA (Hons)||Q140|
|English Language with Creative Writing||BA (Hons)||Q1W8|
|English Literature||BA (Hons)||Q200|
|English Literature and History||BA (Hons)||QV3D|
|English Literature with Creative Writing||BA (Hons)||Q2W9|
You may also be interested in:
|Course Name||Qualification||UCAS Code|
|Secondary English Education with QTS||BA (Hons)||XQ1J (2 Years) or XQ13 (3 Years)|
At A-Level you have to tick certain boxes to achieve good marks, but here you’re encouraged to develop your own personal writing style.
BA (Hons) English Language
My advice would be: don’t let fear stop you from taking all the opportunities you can. You’re probably more capable than you think you are.
BA (Hons) Creative Writing and English Literature
- Ridicule is nothing to be scared of! – Andrew McInnes
- Medieval Manuscripts and Modern Day Messaging – Dr Imogen Marcus
- Career Enhancing Opportunities – English and Creative Writing
- Real World Experience – English and Creative Writing
- Pressing Ahead
English in the News
The Department of English, History and Creative Writing is based in the Main Building at the centre of the campus, near the £26m Catalyst building which includes the University library.
A prime example of 1930s architecture, the Main Building has undergone extensive refurbishment to combine a traditional setting with modern facilities, including the £15m Student Hub.
The building includes lecture theatres, seminar and tutorial rooms, which are ideal for group discussions and one-to-one tuition, as well as IT resources and social learning spaces.
Main Building 360 Virtual Tour
Open Days and Virtual Events
Alternatively, our virtual open day pages offer the chance to discover everything that Edge Hill University has to offer and find out more about any subjects of interest, including English, through a series of online activities.View our virtual open day pages