Our respect for the privacy and security of your data is of great importance to the Student Recruitment Department and Edge Hill University. All personal data is held and processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Act (GDPR).
What information do we collect about you?
We may collect your personal data in the following ways:
- By completing a ‘Find out more’ form at a HE/Recruitment Event
- When you complete a booking form to attend a University event e.g. Open Day, Conference etc..
- When you make an enquiry by telephone, email, Live Chat or via our website.
We may collect the following personal data:
- Your name
- Contact information, including full postal address, a contact telephone number, email address
- Date of birth
- Your subject area(s) / course(s) of interest and your potential year of entry
How do we use the information you provide to us?
Under the GDPR, we do have to meet one of the conditions set out in Article 6 for processing your data. We use the information we collect only in compliance with this Privacy Notice.
In most cases, the processing of your data is necessary for statutory and contractual purposes. We may also need to process the sensitive data you provide to us to ensure your safety and wellbeing. Processing could be necessary to protect the vital interests of the data subject or others. In addition to this, we also need to process some of the data you provide to us to help us comply with legal obligations.
Student Recruitment are keen to communicate our activities, latest news and successes with students and stakeholders and we do this through a range of online and offline channels. In order for us to do this we hold your data in a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) database. We aim to keep your data up to date, and you are able provide any updates by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Unless you have stated otherwise your data will be used for a full range of communications via your chosen method(s) (including email, SMS, post, telephone), based on your legitimate interest in the University. Email may include other forms of electronic communications including social media and online adverts that we think may be of interest to you based on the preferences that you have indicated e.g. a specific subject area.
To ensure you receive relevant information we use your data to personalise our communications.
Communications may include:
- Responding to your enquiry
- Sending University publications
- Registering and administering your attendance at a Student Recruitment Event
- Invitations to future events e.g. open days, relevant conferences etc.
- Relevant course/subject area information
- General University information, including but not exclusive to accommodation and finance.
Who do we share your information with?
We will only share your data with internal departments and external organisations who are acting as agents for the University and are involved in helping us communicate with you. Your data may be stored in Canada outside of the EEA as part of our CRM database.
How long do we keep your information?
We retain personal information that you provide us as long as we consider it potentially useful in contacting you about the University, or as needed to comply with legal obligations.
Please see below for the specific retention guidelines for each type of data we hold:
- Schools/Colleges (Teachers and Careers Advisers) – your data will be held on our system indefinitely or until we are informed that you have left the School/College.
- Prospective student data (enquirers and applicants) – your data is used to communicate information relevant to your specified year of entry. Once the year of entry has passed (unless you update this), your sensitive data will be held in the system for reporting/analysis purposes and will be kept for a maximum of 6 years at which point it will be archived and anonymised and only used for reporting purposes.
Is your personal data secure?
We are committed to the security of the information we hold and in ensuring that only people who need to access the information, are able to do so.
Access to our CRM database is password restricted and only staff members who need access are given the relevant permissions. The data kept within our CRM database is stored securely using a flagship data centre for data storage. Our CRM provider uses industry standards to ensure your data is safe and secure, done via policy, training and technology.
You are able to withdraw your consent or change your preferences at anytime by emailing email@example.com
You have the right to access and be informed of what personal data the University holds about you and what it is used for (please refer to the University’s Subject Access Request Form).
We may amend this privacy notice from time to time, any significant changes to this notice or to the way we treat your data will be communicated via the Edge Hill Website or by contacting you directly through the appropriate means.
Should you wish to contact anyone regarding your personal data or if you have any concerns about the use or processing of your data, please contact:
Data Protection Office
Edge Hill University
St Helens Road