Council Tax Exemption
You are exempt from paying council tax if you are studying on a full-time programme.
To apply for exemption, you can request a Confirmation of Student Registration Certificate. You can do this through the student homepage – follow the instructions below.
- Log in to your Student Record
- Click on ‘view record’
- Click the orange ‘Click here for CSRC’ button
Once you have followed these steps a certificate will be emailed to your Edge Hill email account. This certificate will act as proof of your enrolment on your course and can be submitted to your Local Authority for Council Tax exemption.
Certificates are valid for one academic year only and you must reapply at the start of each term.
Please note, certificates will only be available from the first teaching week of term and this will differ depending on the term dates of your programme.
To qualify for exemption as a student, the legislation requires that individuals must be undertaking a full-time programme (not including apprenticeships). This is briefly defined as:
- A programme which lasts for at least one academic or calendar year, on which students are normally required to undertake periods of study for at least 24 weeks in each academic year or calendar year.
- A programme that also requires a period of study, tuition or work experience amounting to an average of at least 21 hours a week in each academic or calendar year.
Obtaining a Certificate for Previous Years
If you require a retrospective certificate for previous years of study or after the programmes finishes you must pay a £10.00 administration fee:
- Pay for retrospective or duplicate certificates through the University Online Store
- Pay at the Finance Office and present the receipt together with the request to the SIC Student Information Desk
If you cannot see the orange button on your record and you believe you are eligible for council tax exemption, please contact the Enrolment team via [email protected]. Requests may take up to two working days to process.