Residential students network access
How to log on to the University network
You will need your username and your temporary password, both of which are found on your stage one enrolment email.
You must change your temporary password as soon as you can or you risk your account being locked and some services not working. If you are unsure how to do this, contact the Library on or via Ask Us.
Bringing your own devices
PC, laptop, tablet, smartphone, and/ or other mobile device
Those with their own PC, laptop, tablet, smartphone or other mobile device and/or mobile can connect to the internet using the University’s EDUROAM wireless network (please remember to bring your wireless adapt or dongle if you are bringing a PC).
Windows PCs and laptops will require you to install a certificate in order to connect to EDUROAM.
If you are in Chancellors Court, Founders Court, Graduates Court, Palatine Court, Woodland Court or Stanley-Clough halls, you can connect your PC/laptop to the wired infrastructure. How to connect your PC/laptop to the wired infrastructure:
- Bring an ethernet cable.
- Plug the ethernet cable into your PC/laptop and into the LAN socket in your room.
- Using your browser, navigate to captive-portal.edgehill.ac.uk.
- Sign in with your username and your current EHU password.
- Ensure that you have read and accepted the Acceptable Use Policy by checking the box and submitting.
- You will then have an authenticated connection to the internet for 12 hours after which, you will need to sign in again.
If you bring a printer, you can physically connect it locally to your own PC or laptop using a cable. However the Wi-Fi service does not support printer connections so please remember to bring a printer cable.
Games console such as Xbox/PlayStation
If you are in any of the Chancellors Court, Founders Court, Graduates Court, Palatine Court or Woodland Court halls you can register your games console to be connected to the internet via a wired connection. Residents of these halls will receive an email with instructions as to how to register in the first few weeks of term.
Please note that some network ‘ports’ may not be available (or ‘open’) – this is to ensure the security and integrity of the University network, and to prevent illegal and/or unauthorised activity such as peer-to-peer file sharing. This may affect your gaming experience.
Can I arrange for my own internet connection in my hall?
You cannot enter into a contract agreement with a landline internet service provider whilst living in halls. You can’t have an ADSL telephone line or fibre optic line installed in your room.
If you purchase a (wireless 3G or 4G) USB broadband dongle you must be wary of high data charges that you may incur when accessing bandwidth-heavy applications such as online games or video streaming services like YouTube or BBC iPlayer.
Office 365 ProPlus download
Students and staff of the University can get Microsoft Office 365 for free on up to five personal devices as well as access to online versions of Office 365 products and 1TB of free OneDrive storage.
Download and install
To download Office 365 ProPlus, you need:
- your username, for example [email protected]
- your University password
Your username is made up of your Student ID such as ‘29876541’, followed by ‘@edgehill.ac.uk’. You can find your Student ID on your library card. Please note that [email protected] will not work.
- Login to Office 365 with your username and password.
- Once logged in, click the install Office button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions by clicking to run the installer. The installation will begin and, after a few minutes, you can start using Office.
- When you launch Office for the first time, you will need to activate it – click on sign in and then enter your [email protected].
- Click next and then enter your password and sign in
Leaving Edge Hill University
Microsoft will change access to Office 365 to view only. OneDrive storage and files will be deleted.
If you are a student studying, or a member of staff working at the University, then you will have access to OneDrive while you are here. When your study ends, or you leave employment with the University, access to your Edge Hill University associated OneDrive will also end.
You should ensure any personal data stored in OneDrive is removed before you leave the University. If you are a member of staff, you should ensure all work related information is made available to relevant colleagues before you leave.
Download files and folders from OneDrive or SharePoint
You can download files and folders from OneDrive or SharePoint online to your computer with just a few clicks.
- On your OneDrive or SharePoint online website, select the files or folders you want to download.
- Select download.
- If your browser prompts you, choose save or save as and browse to the location where you want to save the download. Some browsers just start saving right away to a downloads folder on your computer.
If you select multiple files or folders and then select download your browser will start downloading a .zip file containing all the files and folders you selected. If you’re in a folder and you select download without selecting any files or folders, your browser will begin downloading all contents of the folder.