Skip Navigation

The EU Settlement Scheme

If you are an EEA (except Ireland) or Swiss national or family member, planning on staying in the UK after 30 June 2021 then you will need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme. This also applies to students who started their studies before Brexit.

What is the EU settlement Scheme?

The EU Settlement Scheme is a simple and free online application for EEA/Swiss nationals and their family members. You do not need to apply if you are an Irish national.

Find out more about deadlines and your eligibility.

You can apply for settled or pre-settled status.

  • Settled status is given to those who have been residing in the UK for five years.
  • Pre-settled Status is given to those who have been in the UK for less than five years. Once you have been here for five years you can then receive settled status.

Advice on the settlement scheme

How do I apply?

Apply now

You will need:

  • your passport or national ID card or biometric residence permit for family members
  • access to an android device or an iPhone 7 or above
  • proof of residence or a National Insurance Number

Using the ‘EU Exit: ID Document Check’ app (UKVI)

Providing evidence you have applied

You will need to get your online-status-check code.

Select the other/something else option, not the right-to-work or rent options. Then send the code and your date of birth to from your student email. We can not accept screenshots of your status or the UKVI confirmation letter.