Skip Navigation

Applying for a visa

Immigration law in the UK can be complex. However, we’re here to help you understand your rights and responsibilities as an international student.

In the UK, it is illegal to give immigration advice unless you are fully trained and regulated by the Office of Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC). It is important that you seek professional advice before undertaking any changes or actions.

What do I need know about Student visas?
What are the CAS deadlines for the September 2024 cohort?
Which visa will I need?
How do I apply for a visa?
What if I receive a refusal notice?
How do I extend my visa?
What if I already have a visa?
Evidence of finances
Sponsored students
TB testing
Academic qualifications
English language requirements
Student visa credibility interviews
Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS)
Academic progression
Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

What you need to do

  • Keep your contact details with the University up-to-date, including your address, phone number and email address. This includes your term time and home address
  • Provide the University with a copy of your passport and visa. You must keep this updated in case of renewal or extension
  • Attend all contact points including classes, lectures, seminars, and reply to all emails sent to you by the Compliance and Immigration Manager.
  • I required, seek visa advice in timely manner from the Compliance and Immigration Manager.
  • Ensure that you leave the UK or apply to extend your stay before the expiry date of your current visa
  • Ensure that you apply for a new Academic Technology Approval Scheme certificate each time you make changes to your studies

What Edge Hill University needs to do

As your Sponsor, Edge Hill University has certain responsibilities, referred to as sponsor duties, for Student visas and all visa-controlled students.

Recording duties

For all visa-controlled students at the University, we must keep a record of:

  • your current address, email and telephone number
  • your current visa and passport
  • your engagement with your course via classes, lecturers, seminars or other activities (this only applies to Student visas).

Reporting duties

For those on a Student visa, the University is required to report the following to the UKVI (Home Office):

  • If you fail to enrol with the University by the latest enrolment date specified on your CAS.
  • If you change your programme of study with Edge Hill University. Under some circumstances you may not be able to change your programme, or this may require a new visa application. Please contact the International Office if you wish to change your programme of study.
  • If you do not fully engage with your studies. The University must report this and withdraw your sponsorship.
  • If you withdraw or are withdrawn from your programme of studies. If you are withdrawn you will be given five working days to appeal this decision. If you do appeal, this will not be reported until a decision has been made on the appeal.
  • If you change the location of your programme. Edge Hill University only has one campus which those on a Student visa can study on. Therefore, this only applies if you are on a placement.

Your engagement

Edge Hill University is required to monitor all those on a Student visa to ensure that they are engaging with their programme of studies.

We expect you to attend all of your classes, lectures and seminars each week and we expect all students to live within commutable distance from Edge Hill University.

It is your responsibility to inform your academic department and the International Office if you are unable to attend due to illness or other unexpected circumstances.

Taught students

Each faculty has an engagement policy that you will need to follow. The faculty will contact the Compliance and Immigration Manager if they have any concerns.

Research (including Masters dissertation)

Your supervisory tutor will contact the Graduate School and the Compliance and Immigration Manager if they have any concerns with your engagement with your research.

During your time in the UK, a family member or friend may wish to visit you for events such as your graduation. If they intend on coming to the UK for a period of less than six months, they may qualify to come as a standard visitor. If they are a visa national, it is compulsory for the application for entry clearance to be made before they travel to the UK.

If you wish to support their application, please contact the International Office for more information.

Can I bring a dependant to the UK?

Your partner and children (‘dependants’) may be able to apply to come to the UK or stay longer in the UK.

You must be one of the following:

If your postgraduate level course starts on or after 1 January 2024, it must be either:

  • a PhD or other doctorate (RQF level 8)
  • a research-based higher degree

Which family members can come as dependants?

A dependant is either:

  • Your husband, wife or civil partner
  • Your unmarried or same-sex partner
  • Your child under 18 years old, including if they were born in the UK during your stay. In order to bring your child, both parents must be travelling to the UK unless there are extenuating circumstance as to why this is not possible.

Evidence will be required as part of the Dependant visa application to prove that the individual is your dependant. An example of acceptable evidence is a marriage certificate.

What are the visa requirements?

If you are eligible to bring dependants, each dependant must evidence that they have a certain amount of money to support themselves while in the UK. This is currently set at £680 per month (outside of London) for the duration of their leave up to a maximum of nine months.

If you are on a one year programme, this means that each dependant must evidence that they have access to £6120 living costs. These funds must be held within a bank account for at least 28 consecutive days, with the statement being no older than 31 days on the date of application.

How do I apply?

It is recommend that your dependant applies at the same time as you for either an Entry Clearance Application from outside the UK or as part of a Visa Extension inside the UK. However, it is possible for a dependant to apply at a later date.

For more information, it is recommended you visit the UKVI and UKCISA webpages.

Can my dependant work?

Dependants are eligible to work and can take any type of employment or self-employment, excluding

  • work as a professional sportsperson, which includes being a sports coach
  • work as a doctor or dentist in training

For more information, please check the UKCISA webpages on dependants.

For more information, please refer to the PBS Dependant Policy guidanceUKVI webpages and UKCISA webpages.