Postgraduate study: Postgraduate Taught Masters courses
Postgraduate Taught Masters courses such as MA, MSc or MBA are usually 12 months in length (if taken full time), comprising taught modules, examinations and a project or dissertation (typically 10,000-15,000 words in length).
The course may be vocational or academic. Some courses are designed as conversion courses, such as MSc Psychology (Conversion) for non-psychology students looking for a career as chartered psychologists.
Important points to consider:
- A 2:1 is sometimes required for entry (check with individual institutions).
- They require more independent study than a degree.
- The focus tends to be on one particular area of a wider subject.
- Prospects: What is a Masters degree?
- Jobs.ac.uk: Which Masters Degree – MRes or MA/MSc?
- Funding for taught Masters