The Department of English and Creative Arts is home to a thriving, multidisciplinary research community.
In REF2021, 75% of English outputs and 66% of our overall profile in Communications, Cultural and Media Studies was judged to be world-leading or internationally excellent. Our research is supported by a range of funders that include the British Academy, UKRI Arts and Humanities Research Council, Leverhulme Trust, and Wellcome.
Our research collaborations with external partners include Liverpool Museums and Galleries, Atkinson Gallery, Everyman and Playhouse Theatres, Shakespeare North Playhouse, Chapel Gallery, Lime Arts Studio, Manchester NHS Foundation Trust, Liverpool City Region Combined Authority, Leigh Film Festival, Natural England, National Autistic Society, Ofcom, Lime Pictures, and Burscough Community Farm.
The department hosts a range of events including the annual Critical Studies in Television Conference, the Edge Hill Short Story Prize, ICR Conference, a biannual Human Animal Studies Conference, and the annual Symposium on Corpus Approaches to Lexicogrammar, and we have research seminar series that run each semester. One Hour Theatre Company is a research-led project-based production facility operating in the department.
If you would like to find out more about our research, please get in touch.
Research groups and centres
The department is home to:
- Centre for Human Animal Studies (CfHAS)
- Corpus Research Group
- Corpus Approaches to Lexicogrammar (LxGr)
- Culture, Power and Inclusion Research Group
- EHU Nineteen: Centre for Nineteenth-Century Studies
- EMERG – Emergent Media & Entertainment Research Group
- ESAL: The Research Group in Spanish and Latin American Studies
- International Centre on Racism (ICR)
- Linguistics Research Group
- Narrative Research Group
- Practice Research Group
- Television Studies Research Group
We also work closely with: