This page has been created to give you all the information you need to prepare for your online interview. It is essential that you read all of the sections carefully.
- Your online interview will be conducted remotely using Microsoft Teams.
- You should be able to view the date and time of your interview on UCAS Hub along with your individual joining link. If you cannot view your joining link, please contact our Admissions Team [email protected]
- You need to confirm that you will attend your interview via UCAS Hub.
- The interview has been structured in such a way as to enable you to demonstrate your commitment to becoming a teacher and your enthusiasm for your subject and education more generally.
- You need to be able to show that you can engage in discussion, contributing both as a speaker and as a listener. You will also be given the opportunity to demonstrate the contribution that you, personally, could make to the programme and, ultimately, to the education of children.
If you do not already have Microsoft Teams, you can download this online.
There are useful guides for the Microsoft Teams App available on YouTube to assist you.
What to do before your online interview
It is essential that you:
- have your individual Microsoft Teams link. Please contact our Admissions Team [email protected] if you cannot view this on UCAS Hub.
- dress appropriately. You are not expected to be in formal wear, however you should present yourself as a future professional.
- ensure you’re in a distraction free space where you won’t be disturbed during your interview. You should also make sure your background is suitable for example, you’re in a space which is tidy and appropriate for an interview into a teacher training course.
- do a tech check: please check the device you intend to use, ideally a laptop and not a mobile phone or tablet. And make sure it has a working camera and microphone.
- have read all the information on this preparation page and made a note of the items you need to have with you and any questions that you want to ask during your online interview.
- have thought about, and can explain, why you want to teach pupils in the secondary age range and why you wish to teach your particular subject.
- have familiarised yourself with current educational issues. Useful publications include:
Essential Course Specific preparation
Please read the below information carefully as it outlines the structure of your online interview along with tasks that you need to complete beforehand.
Prepare a 3 minute presentation where you explain how you would teach a Key Stage 3 pupil (age 11-13 years) how to solve simultaneous equations. You may wish to create a PowerPoint presentation (or something similar) to assist you however you can do this ‘live’ without slides if you wish. Your presentation should be no more than 3 minutes long and you will be asked to upload your presentation during the interview.
During your online interview you will have the opportunity to ask any questions you might have about the course. Then we will have a discussion, centred around eight questions on the following topics:
- Your own interest in and knowledge of Maths and Maths Education
- Maths Education as a subject in the curriculum
- Issues connected to secondary practice
- Wider current issues in education
Throughout the interview process we will be looking for you to demonstrate:
- A commitment to and enthusiasm for working with children
- Strong communication skills
- The personal attributes and values required to train as a teacher
- The ability to reflect on experiences and the learning taken from these
What to have with you
Please have to hand your original photographic ID (i.e. current valid passport or photo-card driving licence). Your ID will be checked prior to the start of the process. If you do not have suitable ID on the day, you may not be able to take part in the online interview and will have to reschedule for an alternative date.
If you have any questions about your ID please contact our Admissions Team via email to [email protected] prior to your online interview.
We’re looking forward to meeting you for your online interview.
If you have any questions or special requirements that you would like to discuss with us prior to your interview you can contact us in the following ways: